1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to the forums and 1911 all together but I am intrested in taking a GI or Mil-Spec and adding an Extended Beavertail, Commander Hammer, & Custom trigger.

Couple of questions....

1. is this something that i can do? meaning that this requires no gunsmithing, zero alterations, other than replacing the old parts with the new.

2. where do i find the parts? i looked over the net somewhat and just ain't comming up with much of anything.

please reply, PM, or Email me [email protected] for any ideas

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
No, all require fitting. You can buy an "ignition kit" that you can drop in, but its gonna cost 100$ or more. The trigger and beavertail require fitting. Its not really difficult, but it does take some skill with a file and sand paper to do it right.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Here's my mil-spec that I just finished some mods on.
But...if you mod a Mil Spec then it's not a Mil Spec anymore, you're out of spec. Why not buy a loaded model instead of create a bastard gun? Not to critisize, but I'm trying to figure out why people are modding their MIL SPEC guns. To each his own!

·
Registered
705 Posts
You answered your own question = To each their own.

I modified mine because I hate front serrations, Amb safeties, and wanted the sights that I like. I wanted A BTGS that actually looked good and a magwell that is functional, other than that - I guess no reason.

·
Registered
56 Posts
But...if you mod a Mil Spec then it's not a Mil Spec anymore, you're out of spec. Why not buy a loaded model instead of create a bastard gun? Not to critisize, but I'm trying to figure out why people are modding their MIL SPEC guns. To each his own!

The main reason I did this was to see if I could actually do this work myself. I took a run of the mill $500.00 pistol and made it into a better shooter. I certainly wouldn't take my Brazos custom and start cutting and changing parts on it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The reason folks mod their guns is because:

They can.

It makes it unique, or custom.

Mabye improves function.
+1

Try to find one like mine out there. You wont be able to. I built it the way I wanted it. I will do it again too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here's my mil-spec that I just finished some mods on.
hey i like your mil spec a lot. i own a springfield mil spec as well and was actually thinking of changing out the beavertail. What brand did you use? Was it hard to install yourself or did you have a gunsmith work on it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey i like your mil spec a lot. i own a springfield mil spec as well and was actually thinking of changing out the beavertail. What brand did you use? Was it hard to install yourself or did you have a gunsmith work on it?[/QUOTE

It's a Smith & Alexander .220 radius beavertail. I did the work myself and IMO it's pretty easy to install. I used a S&A jig which made it a lot easier and followed the instructions posted in this forum and other forums. Just take your time and file a little at a time and do a lot of test fitting to determine what areas need more work. If you take off too much you will have unsightly gaps. It actually ended up a better fit than my factory S&W 1911PD beavertail grip.

·
Registered
405 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts