1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I would like to duplicate the 185 SWC Federal Gold Medal Match load for 45 acp. Muzzle velocity is around 770 fps.
I am planning on using the load for 50 yard bullseye matches.:confused:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
4.6 - 4.9 grains should be the window depending on the gun
I have chronograph data for a 185 grain LSWC @ 789 f.p.s.
This is an average of a ten shot string using 4.7 grains
This data was recorded in June (warm month) 2008
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
:confused: I would like to duplicate the 185 SWC Federal Gold Medal Match load for 45 acp. Muzzle velocity is around 770 fps.
I am planning on using the load for 50 yard bullseye matches.:confused:
If you're using the Remington .45-185 JSWC start with 4.6 of Bullseye or 4.8 of WST.

Federal uses bulk powders not available to handloaders- they actually load to a desired pressure versus time curve.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
You know what, I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts Gold Medal uses Bullseye. I dont have anything to support that conjecture.

OP- why 185 over the 200? FWIW, the short line "standard" is 4.0g of bullseye and the long line is 4.2g. Admittedly, I am not that good at bullseye (like a lot of things in life, I try, but...), and do no better with those "gold standard" loads over 4.8 of bullseye and a 200gLSWC, plus, the 200g feeds more smoothly.

Good luck!

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Trooper, did you mean using Alliant Bullseye powder in particular, or using any powder to duplicate the feel and performance of Federal Gold Match 185 LSWC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

I use bullseye, but am willing to use any other powder that will give me accuracy at 50 yards, I just tried Winchester Auto Comp and do not like it at all, I got a lot of back splash of junk in my face with all loads. I do not get this with any other powder. I have tried WST, Unique and Clays. I have a problem with my bullseye gun not feeding and ejecting rounds, I have to use high loads to have the pistol cycle properly. Right now I am using 4.5 gr of bullseye with a 200 grain bullet and 4.7 with a 185. I am using a 12 lb spring.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You know what, I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts Gold Medal uses Bullseye. I dont have anything to support that conjecture.
I had to talk to a primer chemist at Federal a couple of years ago on a business matter. At the end of the conversation, I asked about the "Factory Load" for their .45 Auto Match product. He chuckled, and explained that there isn't one- he went on to explain that they use bulk powders, not canister powders. They have the equipment to measure pressure vs time, and they load to get the desired P-T curve. The load is whatever it takes to get that result with the powder they have on hand, which they purchase in really large quantities.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
With a 12-lb. recoil spring cartridge OAL and bullet design can be critical
There really isn’t a lot of force generated to over come bullet design or cartridge overall length irregularities.
1911’s that I have like to be fed with authority
Some of the match chamber 45 ACP barrels I have won’t reliably accept some SWC’s with less than a 14 pound spring being used.
I have “cheated” some springs by trimming several coils, you still get the overall spring rate but it seemed to make the slide a little faster for better ejection with reduced loadings.

On ejection maybe the extractor needs some tweaking
Even with reduced loads the 12-pound spring should have those cases flying out of the port.
If the slide velocity is some what retarded you may have to adjust the ejector a bit
Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the lighter loads I was using, the slide would not fully come back and the round would catch on the top of the barrel, horizontal rather than a stove pipe.
Even with a 11 or 12 lb spring.
If I go to a 14 or 16 lb spring, I've got to use a very hot load to get the slide back. I have made sure the slide runs smoothly. 1911's are a tough gun to alter, when you go from the 230 gr. hard ball it was meant to shoot.

GOVTMODEL: I understand going for a curve, does that also mean that FPS means nothing, or is there an average that they still go for?

I have replaced the factory ejector for a match grade Ed Brown model. I also milled the port lower to .410 from bottom of the slide.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
GOVTMODEL: I understand going for a curve, does that also mean that FPS means nothing, or is there an average that they still go for?
I asked that, too. The answer was that the curve is most important; the MV turns out to be ~770fps with the desired curve, but, depending on the powder, it can vary and that variance may be significant. Recall, too, that they are using a SAAMI-standard test barrel and fixture under controlled conditions that you and I can't duplicate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts