1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy fellas!
New to 1911's being mostly a shotgun and leveraction guy.
I am about to buy my first 1911 and it is down to a RIA 1911GI($516 from Buds) or a Mil Spec SA 1911($592 from Buds). Can I get aftermarket hammer and trigger and sights for the SA?
Thanks for the help.
BB

:confused:

·
Banned
608 Posts
SA Mil-Specs are commonly used as base guns for custom builds so you can't really go wrong.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
To upgrade the sights on either of those guns to non GI type you will need to have the slides milled to accept the new sights profile.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You must be looking at the nickel model on the RIA. Their standard GI is $411.00/ make offer......plenty of $$ left over for sights that way.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You can get pretty much everything for a 1911 aftermarket just beware of parts called Drop-In, most parts will need to be fitted to some extent. You are limited on sight choices with the Mil-Spec, the front is staked on, and the rear has a GI style, getting the slide cut for dovetails will give you more options. Reman beat me to it LOL.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Someone say Mil-Spec??? I have about $1200 total in this so far.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The Mil-Spec I posted, I did the easy stuff myself. I installed the trigger, ignition, thumb safety and rear sight. SACS did the front sight BTGS and the FS checkering. They also applied the AK finish.

The gun will be a work in progress and eventually will get further cosmetics.

The slide to frame fit and the lock-up were outstanding for a production gun. It is accurate, functions will all mags and ammo and has a crisp 2.75 pound trigger.

You don't need to do everything at once. Do what you can afford. I did exactly what I wanted the first time and ended up with a great gun. For, as I posted earlier, about 1200 bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts