1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
73,766 Posts
It's a real pity nobody ever properly documented where it came from. The hammer looks like a WW2 Colt unit, so I doubt it was a WW1 battlefield pickup. Also the trauma looks too severe to be the result of a biplane crash. The muzzle received a hefty wallop, and it bent the trigger guard too. If it is indeed a battlefield pickup I'd be more inclined to believe it was salvaged out of the remains of either a WW2 bomber, or a ship in drydock that had taken a severe hit during a battle.

Then again, there's always the continuing adventures of Bubba. :hrm:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't what's left of the patent legend reminiscent of a commercial gov. model or the .455 British sales group?

·
Administrator
73,766 Posts
Actually you're right, I didn't notice it at first. The markings look like commercial ones (especially on the right side). It's looking more like it was recovered from the wreckage of Bubba's pickup truck than an airplane. :hrm:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking that the notches in the grip frame commemorate the guns Bubba doinked, not the French women.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The gun doesn't look too good, but Bubba probably walked away without a scratch.:D

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Neat story, but that gun has had a lot more done to it than any plane crash and fire could possibly do. The safety is gone, the slide stop broken off, the grip bushings missing (they unscrewed when the plane spiralled down?), plus heavy blows from a hammer or similar tool all over the gun.

I have seen burned guns, and I think that gun was destroyed deliberately, not in any plane crash or fire. It is trash, and IMHO, the story is, too.

Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is a good example of "N.R.A. Good" condition, as per the standards of gun shows and internet auction sites !

·
Registered
280 Posts
kitchen smiths

Looks like an example of " How Not to Rebuild your 1911" and a good reason to listen to the knowledgable on this forum.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With hours to go, it's in demand with a busload of bids. Wish I had some of those in MY scrap-iron barrel.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow, it is past $160.00.. . Now let's see the one I might sell was on the Essex (you can barely make that out along with the sailors initials AMT on the slide.) Yup, it's a NAVY, salvaged from the "Caspian" Sea. Big reserve, big reserve save up for this one. /K.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts