1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Smith & Wesson M&P (military & police) seems to be making some inroads into Glock's stranglehold of the polymer framed service pistol...

It's nice to see an American made weapon finally coming to the forefront with our police departments; at least there's a viable option/alternative to the plastic-sighted Glock .40 S&W out there for our 'boy's in blue' to holster. Now, in my perfect world, they would have purchased the S&W1911 over the M&P, but we all know the 'why' and 'why not' this didn't happen. Oh well, maybe someday the bulb will be lit again... :(

See the article below for more details:

http://tinyurl.com/2sp32n

ColtM1911A1

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Yup, local SO just moved to the .40 M&P. The adjustable back strap is a great idea.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My dad just bought an M&P in 45acp...

...to use as a sidearm. So far he's been happy with it. With hydrashoks it will make a ragged whole with the whole magazine at 15 yards. They won't let him carry 1911's or he would be carrying a DW PM7.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have seen way too many of them with problems. I have too admit, I did kind of like my buddy's .45. Until the firing pin broke after 600 rounds.

ranburr

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think they have a winner. A ton of departments have either adopted them are soon will. I'm a hardcore 1911 guy and I've been won over. I now have the full sized 45 and the compact version of the 9mm. We can't get any CCO format 1911s here so I'll be adding the new compact M&P45c just as soon as our commissars approve it, with the new long slide 9mm to follow as soon as finances allow.

Don't get me wrong. I love my 1911s and will be adding one or two more once I leave the PRK. But what S&W did this time is combine the ergonomic perfection of the 1911 with the light weight and capacity of a polymer. No the trigger isn't the same but it's not bad at all, and when combined with the genius of Dan Burwell or David Bowie the M&P's trigger is just about as good as you could hope to get from a striker fired pistol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am friends with a guy who owns a local shop and indoor range which rents guns and he has had one of the 9's in the rental case since the day they came out and had absolutely no problems with it. he traded his glock for one for his personal carry gun. i think that says quit a bit about them.:rock:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
BOTH of our local major PDs (I live next to the state line) have swithced, officialy, to the M&P .40 for issue. The Glock .40 is still popular.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a 1911 guy but bought an M&P after trying one to see what all the hype was about. It'll make a believer out of you!! These things are the balls!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
City of Cincinnati switched to M&P 9mm, a department of about 1057 officers. so far they seem to like them a lot. They didn't switch from Glock however, just from an older model S&W.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have seen way too many of them with problems. I have too admit, I did kind of like my buddy's .45. Until the firing pin broke after 600 rounds. ranburr
I had the same issue with my M&P45 that I use as a training firearm -- the firing pin broke at about the same number of rounds fired as your friends (approx 600). I must say, however, that S&W Customer Service had a replacement firing pin assembly in the works and into my shop within three days -- that's good support in my book...

The S&W CS representative acknowledged the problem and said they had received a bad batch of MIM firing pins which unfortunately got into the system before they were discovered as being 'sub-par'; he stated emphatically that the problem has been resolved. I tend to believe him as he was quick to offer the explanation when I called with the problem -- no skirting the issue or giving any lame reasons as to the 'what' and 'whys'. The 'way-to-soon-mechanical-malfunction' of the broken firing pin did, nevertheless, leave a lingering doubt in my mind about the total QC of this new S&W offerings, but I'm willing to give them some time before I call the M&P pistol a design failure...

ColtM1911A1

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I have seen way too many of them with problems. I have too admit, I did kind of like my buddy's .45. Until the firing pin broke after 600 rounds.

ranburr
I have about 2000 rds through my .45 with no problems at all. I know several people that own them and they have not had any problems either. I do not dry fire the pistol without a snap cap.

·
Registered
461 Posts
the m&p service is a fine weapon. the compact leaves a bit to be desired.
Since they are essentially the same weapon I'm just curious what you're basing your statement on. Is it the way the grip fits your hand? The form factor? There are folks using their compacts in IDPA and having a great time. My Ultra Carry is spending most of it's time in my safe now that I have the compact M&P.

I have about 2000 rds through my .45 with no problems at all. I know several people that own them and they have not had any problems either. I do not dry fire the pistol without a snap cap.
Good move. They should not be dry fired without snap caps.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Since they are essentially the same weapon I'm just curious what you're basing your statement on. Is it the way the grip fits your hand?
sorry for not being more clear. the compact functions reliably for me, but i find the grip to be very poor and because the grip isnt comfortable the accuracy isnt there. because im really pleased with my service size m&p i really tried to warm up to the compact but just couldnt and went back to a g19 for compact carry.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm a 1911 guy but bought an M&P after trying one to see what all the hype was about. It'll make a believer out of you!! These things are the balls!!

My experience has been the same. I'm a 1911 guy, but my M&P has become one of my favorite NON 1911 pistols.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Don't get too wrapped around the axel if you have a weapon that broke or you herd of one breaking. If I got guns according to horror stories, I wouldn't own a M&P, 1911, Glock, Sig or M9.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Time will tell if it is really any better than their first, second and third attempt with plastic.
Im only aware of the Sigma and the Walther clone. Whats the third?

Don't get too wrapped around the axel if you have a weapon that broke or you herd of one breaking. If I got guns according to horror stories, I wouldn't own a M&P, 1911, Glock, Sig or M9.
Even a pattern of a part failing relatively early (like these firing pin stories that seem pretty common) shouldnt rule out a gun this early in its existence.

It may be that they end up using a different material or process in the future if it ends up being a really common problem.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Word is that the DEA is taking a serious look at the M&P in 40s&w, if that happens and I hope it does it will open the floodgates for other fed agencies. It's really nice to see S&W rising to the top in the LE market again, they have a real winner with the M&P line!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts