1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the DW CBOB has some competition coming...

Kimber Super Carry Family

also no mention of the "Series II" so possibly not dreaded schwartz safety.

i wonder if it is going to have the ed brown part?

Super Carry – NEW FAMILY for 2010
Super Carry Ultra – MFG # 3200248
Super Carry Pro – MFG # 3200247
Super Carry Custom – MFG # 3200246

The Super Carry family – the three models in this line will all have alloy frames, a recessed slide stop hole like on the Crimson Carry II family, a high cut lower trigger guard like on the newest Gold Combat II models, a melt finish & silver KimPro on the frame with black KimPro on the slide making this a two tone gun, Wood Micarta Grips – Linville color (new color for Kimbers), and a bobbed mainspring housing. The sights will have a cocking shoulder like the SIS line, ambidextrous safety, and new cocking serrations called Super Carry Serrations. These serrations will look similar to those on the Raptor slide but sharper and reversed in direction.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
I would like to see how they function and look, also after this years prices I think they will probably be a little bit higher then that. But if they are like the DW CBOB, they will sale like Hot Cakes. Won't stay on the shelf to long........

Clyde

·
Premium Member
15,295 Posts
Wow, I hadn't looked close enough to see that they will be bob-tailed. I think several of us are eating crow!! :biglaugh: I'm pretty sure the consensus was that Kimber wouldn't go to the expense of a bob-tail.

Since Ed Brown owns the bob-tail, I don't know where else they'd get the MSH. Talk about getting ED Brown's baby some market share!!!!

The Super Carry actually sounds like a gun with some bite rather than just marketing. Or maybe I'm just that marketing target and they got me. :rofl:

BTW, since there's already a thread going about the new line's, it may be best to keep it in that one instead of scattering the info. especially since lonewolf is passing on the info. direct from and with the blessing of Kimber. Besides, the description that you posted is from lonewolf's site.

·
Premium Member
15,295 Posts
Kimber calls it the Super Carry, why the ambidextrous safety? I can see alot of folks (who actually plan on carrying it) to be turned away because of this. :barf:

Wes
While I never have a problem with the one I have that has an ambi safety, I'd agree with you. I think the number of buyers they're loose by eliminating it would be a fraction of what they could save in the cost to add it. It's not needed on a carry gun 99% of the time. I'd guess even some lefties would agree.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If anyone from Kimber reads this, they should offer it with or without the ambi safety. I know you change it on our end but it would be nice if it came either or from the factory.

Other then I'm not sure about the bob-tail, sounds nice.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
The bobtail is a nice feature for carry purposes. In my experience, it changes nothing in terms of hand position while shooting.

I just cannot get past Kimbers marketing ploys. Even though they sell tons of 1911s every year, I think they could appeal to many more buyers if the built a "bling" free pistol like the early Kimbers

Wes

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
I respeectfully disagree, this "bling" you speak of is what sets kimbers aside from others and is what attracted me to them.

I hear ya. Different strokes, different folks!

There is a difference between a bobbed mainspring housing and a bobtail. One is a rounded and smoothed bottom and the other is a bobtail. Anyone seen any pics yet?
Ahh.. Thanks for pointng that out. I read "carry" and my mind instantly went to bobtail.

Wes

·
Premium Member
15,295 Posts
There is a difference between a bobbed mainspring housing and a bobtail. One is a rounded and smoothed bottom and the other is a bobtail. Anyone seen any pics yet?
Good point. I jumped to conclusions too. I saw bobbed MSH but read bobtail. :D Damn, they got me again!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
and a bobbed mainspring housing.
If that is something like the SIS Ultra has, THAT would be - very - nice. :rock:

·
Premium Member
15,295 Posts
Pictures or it didn't happen!

This is why we ought to keep all this in the other thread. People will think it's some hallucination if they don't see that Kimber released the info. Of course some will still not believe it. :D

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Even though they sell tons of 1911s every year, I think they could appeal to many more buyers if the built a "bling" free pistol like the early Kimbers

Wes
In my mind the Custom family represents the "bling" free pistol. I suppose the enhancements with stainless or the special treats on the Warrior pistols are exceptions, but the Custom and Custom TLE are great "plain" pistols. I think the Custom Pro TLE suits my tastes more than the SIS Pro or some of the other all-steel pistols. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but some of the bling I don't like - even the cheese grater grips on the Raptor. The Custom pistols just shoot great, from my own and the experience of many posters and at a bargain price. I'm glad that they appear to be keeping this "family" and even setting it up in it's own house, so to speak.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Something like this ? I saved this pic from somewhere..It's not mine but I want one for sure...Mater of fact I've sent Kimber an email a few times suggesting that make an affordable lightweight bobbed commander..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.