1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I own a Colt Combat Elite series 80 in .45 ACP which I bought used about 5 years ago. I shoot once a month. The last time i was at the range I noticed that after inserting a loaded mag with the slide locked back, and before releasing the slide, the magazine is loose and can move up and down about 3 mm (1/8 in) inside the pistol. Is this normal and I never noticed, or is something wrong?

Thanks
John

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
There is always some play when inserting mags this way. Is the amount the same for all mags or just one? If only the one inspect it for a damaged floor plate or mag catch opening.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Bingo.If you slam factory mags in the front of the baseplate will bend down in time.The only other cause is a worn catch or mag notch.3mm is shy of 1/8",a little much if you guessed the amount it's probably normal.As suggested,compare all mags.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
My 1911's are all metal, and tend to have rather tight mag fitting, open or closed slides. I have shot friends guns, esp polymer frame ones, and am amazed how rattly the mags are But they shoot fine. LIke above, you might try bending up the follower tab if a metal mag, or try other mags, or even a new mag release, it may be a bit tighter tolerance.

Clicking a snug mag in a 1911 gives that satisfying feeling, like the click of a car door closing.

Actually, i put the flats of my mags on a fine diamond stone, did three more new mags for a DW ECO last nite. It takes off the imperceptible nibs and warps of the mags, and ensures they drop free with alacrity. I am no gunsmith, and don't even dare detail strip my pistols, but mags are simple, and I can smooth them a bit easily.

All the best.....

·
Premium Member
15,735 Posts
Don't do anything to it but release the slide and shoot. When the slide is closed the magazine spring forces the top round into contact with the flat surface of the slide, which causes the magazine to be pushed down tight on the mag catch. You could theoretically gain zero tolerance but at the price of reliability. Yes, you want your magazines to be in good condition with no bent base or other feature. Replace any that have a bent toe on the baseplate, but I doubt you have that problem.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
You're just noticing this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts