1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I was cleaning my series 80 colt and I have misplaced the FP saftey plunger spring. Lost in pile carpet. I want to shoot a match with it on Sunday. Is there any way to shoot the gun without the spring? Is there a spring I could replace it with on a temporary basis? I will order a new spring but it won't be here until next week.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
p7guru said:
Guys,

I was cleaning my series 80 colt and I have misplaced the FP saftey plunger spring. Lost in pile carpet. I want to shoot a match with it on Sunday. Is there any way to shoot the gun without the spring? Is there a spring I could replace it with on a temporary basis? I will order a new spring but it won't be here until next week.
Put a new bag in your vacuum cleaner and see what you get. Try using the little spring from a ball point pen.
You could just remove the FPS parts altogether for the match.
If you're in the DFW, Texas area I have an extra you can come by and get.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Leave the plunger in so the lever won't drag on the open hole and it will run fine.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
What Logman said on just assembling with out it.

What Ferretray said about the vacuum.

Without the spring the worst that can happen is the interlock won't engage. Pistol will always shoot as long as the frame parts are in there to lift the plunger.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
And on the plus side your trigger will be a bit lighter.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
hardware stores have strong ones for picking up nails - or try an old car speaker

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Or do the ol' pantyhose over the vacuum tube end trick - that way you won't have to fish around in the vacuum bag (but the new vacuum bag is the most efficient, since you get good, strong suction from a new bag and there won't be much of anything in there to fish through anyway - wow, that was a run-on sentence if I ever read one).

Easiest option, however, is to go by log man's and Chuck S' comments. I mean, c'mon, if you can't trust Chuck S.... ... ;) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts