1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I had bolt rifles out of my system for good. Been dedicating my rifle shooting to ARs. Sold my two Remmy 700 varmint rifles couple of years ago.

Tikkas, however, have always interested me. I'd attempted to price Tikka Varmints at Bud's a few times, but the search didn't turn up anything. Hmmmm, that's because they list Tikkas under Beretta!

Bud's price on the .223 Tikka Varmint was substantially less than any other online source I could find, so I ordered one. Already ordered bases, bore guide and soft case from Amazon. :)

Actually looking forward to receiving the Tikka, which should be within the next 10-days-or so. I expect it to shoot .25 m.o.a. or better. Will be disappointed if it doesn't.

Only downside to my purchase is that Bud's only had the 1/10 twist in stock. I'd have preferred 1/8.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'd be surprised if you got even 1/2 MOA out of that gun or any off the shelf factory gun.
.2's are the realm of custom, hand lapped barrels, years of dedicated shooting and zero wind days. Not to mention near perfect ammo preparation and a good bit of luck.

Good luck with your new rifle, be happy with whatever it shoots. They actually are pretty nice guns.

·
Registered
23,559 Posts
If it is available in a one in eight inch twist.

I likely would have held out for that. But depending on what you are going to do with it. This may not matter.

What are you going to put on it for glass?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Not sure about yours but some tikas are light weight barrels for humping around. Make sure to let it cool between shots if that's what ya gots. Also, be not dismayed right away until that barrel is adequately copper fouled,

Are you planning to handload? I guess I'm somewhat concerned with your expectations unless you are willing to develop the right load harmonized with or rifle's resonate frequency. At least with 223, you'll have plenty of factory stuff to play with!

please keep us mind when you've sent some rounds downrange.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be surprised if you got even 1/2 MOA out of that gun or any off the shelf factory gun.
.2's are the realm of custom, hand lapped barrels, years of dedicated shooting and zero wind days. Not to mention near perfect ammo preparation and a good bit of luck.

Good luck with your new rifle, be happy with what eve's it shoots. They actually are pretty nice guns.
So, are you calling me a liar, or, are you just generally f.o.s.?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure about yours but some tikas are light weight barrels for humping around. Make sure to let it cool between shots if that's what ya gots. Also, be not dismayed right away until that barrel is adequately copper fouled,

Are you planning to handload? I guess I'm somewhat concerned with your expectations unless you are willing to develop the right load harmonized with or rifle's resonate frequency. At least with 223, you'll have plenty of factory stuff to play with!

please keep us mind when you've sent some rounds downrange.
So, know what a Tikka Varmint is? :) (bull barrel, of course) FWIW, I'm a Class 06 loader. Have done precision handloading for rifles for a couple of decades. ;) Have shot some .5", 5-shot groups with my old Bushmaster with free-floated barrel, JP trigger. Set up a friend's the same way, and his shoots identically.

Friend of mine shoots a RRA Predator Pursuit, which shouldn't be as accurate as the Tikka Varminter, and it easily shoots .5" groups @ 100 yds., shooting my bulk-loaded 55gr. fmjbt ammo.

My old Remmy 700 VS with my excellent handloads and a Timney trigger set at about 1# consistently shot in the LOW 2s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts