1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so im looking to buy my first handgun, and I have done extensive research on all kinds of guns. I have decided that I do want to get a 1911 of some kind mostly because I've heard good things about them and they fit very nicely in my hand compared to other guns. So the question on my mind is what is a good 1911 (full frame) that I can purchace between 500 and 700 dollars that can be used for sport and protection? I also would like to get into some type of amature competition shooting and I want a gun that would be able to at least shoot as strait as I can. Based on everything that I have looked at so far I really like the Dan wesson PM1-S. I think It will satify my needs more than other models however you guy's imput would be greatly apreciated since I am pretty new at the whole handgun thing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know you say you want a 1911, but you might also consider a glock. They are good all around guns, very reliable, and are ideal for defense and good for competition. In fact a 9mm glock is hard to beat in USPSA production or IDPA SSP.

IF you read a bit on here, or do a search, you may find that these 1911s tend to need tweaking or gunsmith work to be made reliable.

New glocks can be had for $450 on gunbroker on gunsamerica.

·
Registered
717 Posts
For those that like the plastic ying yangs. I dont like to admit that I own one but... I like my sig pro 9mm much better than the glock. You can get them for the same price and they seem much better quality. Mine has fed everything I have ever put in it and never jamed. Very accurate also. I also like the DA/SA with decocker better than the hokey glock trigger saftey. I must say I like shooting my DW's the best, there is nothing like a 1911, but the sig is in my night stand because I know it will work every time. I have yet to own a 1911 that hasn't failed at least once for one reason or another.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
DJWB:
Hello, and welcome to the 1911 forum. I'd suggest you take a hard look at the DW Patriot model. Mine is easily the most accurate factory gun I've ever purchased, and is, IMO, an outstanding value. Agree that you should take your time and look around. Plastic, of course, should be avoided at all costs... :p Take care.

·
Registered
272 Posts
BadOscar said:
You can get them for the same price and they seem much better quality.
Where can I get a NIB Sig for $450?

New glocks, almost all models $450...
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976373392.htm

BadOscar said:
but the sig is in my night stand because I know it will work every time. I have yet to own a 1911 that hasn't failed at least once for one reason or another.
[/B]
Pay attention to that quote. I only have 5 1911 pistols, but they all are unreliable when compared to my glocks or my ruger p85. They don't break or malfunction all the time, but they do break and malfunction, and once is too many times for a carry/defense gun.

Also remember that a glock trigger is consistant (it is single action), unlike a traditional DA pistol like the Sig, where you have along DA pull and then SA pulls. The glock also has a nice short reset, not unlike a 1911.

There is no doubt the 1911 has the nicest trigger, that's why I shoot them in competition. But all our defense guns are glocks...

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
gendarms2000 said:
I only have 5 1911 pistols, but they all are unreliable when compared to my glocks or my ruger p85. They don't break or malfunction all the time, but they do break and malfunction, and once is too many times for a carry/defense gun.
Not to be rude, but why then don't you go get them fixed? In making your statements which hint toward the 1911 being an unreliable design, you need to remember that there are thousands upon thousands of individuals happily shooting millions and millions of collective rounds through 1911-design guns each year. Competitive shooters will often shoot 50,000 to 70,000 rounds through a 1911 each year, with very, very few problems. I've got an old, "P.O.S" ;) Para-Ordnance P-10 (you know, that 3" barrel gun which is proclaimed by many to be so horribly unreliable) which has over 85,000 flawless rounds through it. Yes, I've tuned it. But, the design flat works provided the tinkerer/operator knows what he/she is doing. Please don't slam the 1911 design as flawed, based upon your own experience as someone rather new to the 1911. I think you'll find that, once properly tuned, the guns are as close to perfection as one can ask for!

BTW, you also need to take a close look at the problems being experienced by your "other" brands of pistolas. You may be surprised with what you find.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
I wanted to add this post to say that I'm certainly not meaning to demean gendarms or his problems, but rather, I'm defending the 1911 design. As a 1911-smith, I'm a bit biased in that respect... :eek: It gets a bit tiring when folks come on to a 1911 website and demean the 1911 design. It's not the design's fault here, it's a mfg problem with QC/assembly.

I'm aware of gendarms' problems, and agree that expensive guns shouldn't leave the factory with unsatisfactory parts or fitting. At the same time, however, stuff happens in the real world, and there are easy fixes to these problems. Any competent smith should be able to assist for little money spent.

·
Registered
272 Posts
dpcdivr said:
Not to be rude, but why then don't you go get them fixed?
Eventually I will, but would never trust any of them with my life. I don't have a lot of time and money to spend fixing new guns. My "other pistolas" run just fine out of the box :) I

About every other match I go to some 1911 design (and I'm counting widebody S?Is etc.) breaks. I've never seen a broken glock or sig (except when there was ammo failure like a double charge).

We can deny it all we want, and say it just needs a little tuning, but a spring steel extractor is going to break, it's just a matter of when.

JMB design may be great, but the implementation at least in the sub $1200 guns doesn't seem to be so great.

But even the $1600 and up STI's break.

Take it for what it's worth, just my opinion. Remeber, the original poster is buying his FIRST HANDGUN. You think my 1911 experience is limited, and I have 5...

Do you still recommend he get a DW 1911 for his first and only handgun?

I notice you said "stay away from plastic at all cost". While there is a smiley, why would you say that to a person about to buy a new handgun? You're turning him away from a lot of good modern pistols. We can turn the tables and ask how many glocks you own ;)

No offence taken and none intended.

·
Registered
272 Posts
dpcdivr said:
Would I recommend a 1911 for a first gun? Of course I would. Better to tune up a Corvette than live with a Yugo... :D And...I own exactly ZERO plastic guns, though I do fix broken ones once in a while... Take care.
That's what I figured :) Usually folks who bad mouth the glocks don't shoot them.

Well based on my limited 5 1911 experience, 4 of which have or had problems, I would recommend he get a gunsmith and a 1911 if he wants to go that route ;) My 3 glocks haven't required any gunsmithing attention.

And I would not compare the glocks w/yugos which were quite unreliable, I'd say they're more like Hondas. Sedans not the su2000 or anything cool like that. Of course the corvette is more fun until you crash ;)

My Patriot is my favorite handgun right now except when it breaks. My Razorback was my favorite but it just doesn't feed reliably even after a trip back to DW, so I don't use it.

Pointman Major 9mm has had 2 trips back to DW and still won't lock back on empty w/any of 6 mags. I bought that gun for IDPA ESP but if your gun doesn't lock back on empty you get a procedural because they think you did a speed load - so I don't use it.

My pointman major 45ACP had 1 trip back and it is more reliable than before but somtimes still fails to feed. But I use it as my backup gun at matches for when the patriot breaks (like at the va-md sectional match).

Glocks have their place. They are reliable. They are inexpensive.
If he decides to shoot IPSC or IDPA then once he's done with L10 and CDP w/a 1911 he'll want to classify in Production and SSP and you can't do that w/a 1911 :) Those two places the glocks have an advantage because they are allowed, even though those divisions require the first shot to be double action. So people shooting sigs, rugers, berettas, etc. have to deal with a double action first shot and sometimes crappy single action subsequent shots, while the glocks are consistantly single action, with a very short reset. Much quickers splits w/a glock.

If he wants to shoot Limited then a glock is a good inexpensive way to go since regular capacity mags (e.g. 15 - 17 rd) are required and preban mags are about $85 (as opposed to having to buy a $1600 STI Edge or Eagle and then fork over similar $ for hicap mags).

Anyway, interesting posts, hope they were helpful to the original poster. There are at least 2 sides to every story.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Actually, sir, if you'll re-read the starter thread, DJ has ALREADY decided to buy a 1911. :eek: Several of us were answering his questions. I'm afraid it is you who started the diatribe about 1911's vs. "other" guns. Likely you'll find the comraderie much more in line with you thinking over at GT than here on a 1911 site. Take care, and I sincerely hope you find the time to have someone else fix your 1911 problems.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread DJ!

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
get the 1911

There is NO gun that is 100% ALL the time EVERY time.

Get the 1911 and see why it has been around for so long.

Do you think there may be a reason???

All the best,

Art

·
Registered
272 Posts
dpcdivr said:
Likely you'll find the comraderie much more in line with you thinking over at GT than here on a 1911 site.
Actually they have narrow minded folks who are stuck on one type of gun over there too...

If the original poster wants to get a 1911 and is looking at the DW pointman (I guess - if that's what a PM1 is), perhaps he might consider a patriot as it is a better gun in a number of ways (forged/forged, bomar style adj sights with a nice dovetail cut instead of millet style sights where a little pin breaks like on my pm9, etc.). Just make sure to replace the internals with parts that won't break so often.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
G2000......

I've noticed that you have had problems with all four of your "1911s". You're batting 1000 at this point. I also notice that you only have one brand of 1911 and that is Dan Wesson. Don't form a negative opinion about John Browning's magnificient 1911 design because you have received 4 new Dan Wessons that needed work.

I have a 1991A1 Colt (1911) that was made in 1991. Other than the Series 80 firing pin system and the plastic MS housing, it was entirely a mil-spec pistol. The pistol worked right out of the box, with no hitches and after 12 years it still continues to flawlessly function.

Fast forward to the year 2000. My son purchased a new, Colt 1991A1. Straight out of the box, the pistol also functioned flawlessly and was a joy to shoot. He's now hooked on Colt 1911s.

I recently purchased a used Colt stainless MK IV Gov't (1911) police pistol made in 1986. I took it apart, cleaned it and went off to the range. The pistol was truly a joy to shoot and ran flawlessly. At $475, it was a best buy!

I have owned many Colt 1911s in my lifetime. The 1911 is still one of the most dependable pistols on the market.

Sorry you've had more than your share of trouble with one brand.

Regards,
Sam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts