1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a Pistol II Yavapai Firearms Academy class at Turlock, CA. Louis did a very professional job. Safety was excellent and instruction was fast paced and accurate.
He has an uncanny ability to pick out small details of stance, etc and correct them ASAP. He does this without making you feel like a fool. The training was best suited for the advanced shooter. It included shooting on the move, moving targets, target discrimination, charging targets, multiple targets, backup guns, vehicle ambush work, etc. Most of the above were also shot at night.
I appreciate Awerbuck's professionalism in teaching. He has clear, definitive explanations for everything before you shoot.
The class was an outstanding value at $450 for three days.
We had quite a few equipment problems with various guns. Two failures with 40 cal S&W 99s, One G22 that had defective frame rails, one CZ Compact that had the wrong mags and lots of ammo problems. The 1911s that failed were often short models or home gunsmithed.
My G19/26 worked well as did the Valtro 45s. John Jardine took the class with a Valtro of course. He also used his skill to help a few other shooters with gun problems..

Mike H

·
Registered
877 Posts
Louis is THE MAN.

In addition to what you mentioned, he has some other strengths as well. One that I find particularly refreshing is that he's more concerned about results than "dogma." He'll show you the way he thinks is the best, but he makes it clear that it's a suggestion. If you want to do it another way and get the job done, fine. If you can't then he'll offer more suggestions until you can.

Too many instructors (including some big names who probably owe most of their knowledge set to Louis) are way too rigid. They think their way is the only way, and if you disagree, you are just wrong.

Some of the tricks he pioneered (such as negative target shooting) are really good for both enhancing accuracy (by forcing the use of good fundamentals) as well as great confidence boosters. Knowing and believing you can make a given shot quickly is almost as important as being able to do it on demand.

And for a guy who claims to have no sense of humor, he's pretty funny sometimes. :D

My only complaint is that he comes to Indiana in August of every year. There's no way around that, but I sure would prefer early spring or late fall!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I wish I took that course. I got to keep better track of these things.
I have taken a class with Jardine. He is alot of fun to take a class with. He will shoot his targets then fix a fellow students gun - most of the time it is free of charge. He is a true gentlemen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Great class; great man.

rhino, see you in August, my friend.:)

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
YFA is a travelling school with no fixed facility. Their classes are hosted by various individuals in various venues around the country. Thus the hotel situation and range ammenities will vary from site to site. You can get information at www.yfainc.com

Louis is an excellent instructor and you will learn a great deal from him.

Rosco

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pinheadbob2002:
Louis teaches at several major schools. Locally he teaches at Turlock,CA. Turlock is two or three hours from San Fran depending on traffic. It's over in the Central Valley near Modesto. Smart people stay in the nearby town of Patterson, CA on Interstate 5.
His classes have prerequisites. The advanced classes like Pistol ll require much experience and safety skill. Unsafe shooters are not welcome in his classes. All classes are equal opportunity. You can check the Yavapai Academy site listed in other posts. Some of his classes are at Gunsite etc, and some of his classes are restricted to special branch military, police etc. He trains police forces in San Jose, Los Angeles, and many others.
Keep an eye on www.midvalleyshooters.com for updates on local classes. Believe me it's a bargain.
Good Luck,
Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great class; great man.

rhino, see you in August, my friend.

Could not agree more! Looking forward to Aug. I'm so glad we LEO's and citizens of Indiana have a Sheriff and staff like the Boone County Police Department's ! I wish every state had at least one like it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
rhino465, I took pistol II last Aug. I'm planning on rifle this Aug. / 2003 was my first class with Louis, it was of course very hot but I really enjoyed it. I don't know if I know you or not, pm me if you like.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The concerned party was one of my lunch buddies during both handgun I and the rifle class. I'm pretty sure that when the excitement happened, he was pretty much exhausted. It's by no means an excuse, but it certainly makes it easier to understand how such things can happen to people who are otherwise very safe.

I know that when I was getting tired in the heat during the rifle class, I had to be reminded to keep my finger away from the trigger guard a couple of times ... and I am meticulous about safety.

I sure wish we could get Louis in the fall or early spring, but it's better having his classes in August than not at all!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I understand and did not mean to sound unconcerned about your buddy. I was about 5' to his rear and 10' to his right at the time and he kept a cool head thru the entire incident. I like that in a person and can only hope I could do the same.
Concerning the weather at least it's not in Feb or something. But May or June would be perfect.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Oh, I wasn't being defensive ... I was just sharing some more information. I kind of feel sorry for him (still), mostly for the embarassment! ;)

May would be good ... heck, I'd rather do it February than August. As long as it's not too icy, I don't mind the cold! It would be an interesting test for people who never shoot their guns in cold weather too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
rhino465, I have to shoot at ILEA in Feb. and I,m not looking forward to it at all. Things just don't seem to work as good when its cold, however one must still be able to get the job done rain,snow or whatever. I recall spending some very miserable times on the ranges while in the service. I think that kinda warped me.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yeah, it's a lot tougher shooting in cold weather, especially if you've been outside for a while and your hands are numb. It tests you and your equipment both! And you have to decide whether or not you're going to always try to shoot with your gloves on, or if you're going to try to strip your strong hand glove as part of your presentation.

Is ILEA the Indiana or Illinois academy?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts