1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does anyone else here have a love/hate relationship with glock pistols. I love mine, it feeds, fires and extracts with great reliability. It is damned accurate, light weight, with hicaps. So, the hatred part. If feels to damn funky in my hand. Like i have to always readjust my grip on it. Sort of like gripping a sawed off 1x4. But i guess if thats the only bad point, i am doing ok.

Just wondering if any of you all have the same reactions.

And i am not bashing, or wanting to bash the hgood ole 1911. A 1911 happens to be my carry gun. Not the glock 17.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The 17 may just not fit you well. I find that the 19 and the 34 fit (balance) me better than the 17, don't know why. The thing with Glock's is that they are ugly, not extremely accurate, feel low quality, and don't give alot of pride of ownership, but the gun works; and thats what counts. My G30 is far from being my favorite gun, but I find my self carrying it more than anything else. I don't even shoot it that well, but its good enough for carry.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with all you said. They are but ugly, in a ruger p series sort of way. But, the work, every time. Maybe i am just being picky, but it just does not fit my hand as comfortable as i would like. My 1911 and beretta both feel like an extension of my hand, the glock feels like more of a club, so to speak. I am not faulting its performance, i cant.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'm thinking about sending my G23 to Robar for a grip recontour. Does anyone have any experience with these, i.e., do they make that much difference and are they durable? I like my 1911's with a flat MSH. I'd ask this question over at the Glock forum, but those folks may not be quite as objective as here. Thanks.

·
Registered
937 Posts
See, I'm weird.

MY G21 is the most comfortable gripped pistol I have.

I also like the Ruger P90, also famed for feeling like a 2x4.

To each his own I guess.

Brian

·
Registered
992 Posts
I found that the Hogue Handall made the grip of the G23 a lot more comfortable for me. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my 1st generation G22 (no finger grooves) I first added skate board tape to the sides, then added a Houge slip on grip also. With the magwell and the Houge grip I love it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I absolutley loved my G30 for carry and competition. That is until I bought my first 1911 last Friday. As soon as the 1911 gets broke in and I get a holster, mags etc for it, the Glock is gone. Then I plan on using the money for a second 1911:D

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've pretty much been a Glock guy for the past 2 or 3 years. I have had 8 of them. I still consider my G22 and G27 to be my go to guns. But, wanting to move into a 45acp, the G21/30 just didn't fit my hand. So I have begun to experiment with 1911's. In my shooting experience I have not been impressed with the 1911's reliability. In fact, I can honestly say, that after shooting IDPA for 3 years, I have never seen a 1911 that didn't require some extra attention to make it work.

So, when I decided to try a 1911, I wanted a good one. I bought a Kimber TCII and so far I am very impressed. Although this gun is still in it's break in period, it has been reliable and feels good in the hand. It's a little heavier on the belt and holds fewer rounds but I'm trying to get used to that. I want to give the 1911 a fair chance. I'm still undecided about which gun will suit me better in the long run.

I guess you could put me in with the "I love Glocks" crowd. But a quality 1911 is running a close second.

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
My Glock 19 feeds just about everything. So do my Berettas. So did a SIG P226 I briefly had. Same with an HK USPc I once owned. However, none of them ever caused me to grin slightly when shooting them, nor did they ever feel very comfy in my hand. There are but three pistol types in my collection that have a natural feel to them and that I can shoot the X-ring out all day long with a smile:

Hi-Power
M1908 Pocket Hammerless

Hmm..... now what do these three have in common? :confused: :D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Dunno why "love-hate" is the phraseology used.

I have had 8 Glocks, and they've all been hardy, accurate, reliable, easy to clean and service, comfortable and easy to shoot, lightweight (if somewhat blocky) to carry, "chunky" to grip yet acceptable, having the same quite-manageable trigger pull for each shot.

Not as nice to hold as a 1911, not as good a trigger as a 1911, but simple, functional and utilitarian. Can't find too much fault with that.

Most of these "gun comparison" debates come down to aesthetics, except for the obvious clunkers that no self-respecting person would own.

·
Registered
623 Posts
in a weak moment i was persuaded to trade a like new satin nickel .380 colt for a glock 29. i wanted a gun i could keep in my car and not cry if it was stolen. after spending some time with the glock.... i now weep for my colt .380:( i still wonder what i was thinking...

the glock is long gone now. the glock platform just isnt for me. i tried to like it, but could not.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I was at the local gun store today, and played around with a Springfield XD. It fit my hand much better than my Glocks, and the trigger was very good. I haven't fired one yet, but I soon will. I'm looking around for a good 9mm for casual shooting and to add some variety in the mix with my 1911's. The XD might be the one. If what I have read about them is correct, they should perform about as well as a Glock.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
My love/hate relationship doesn't really quite fall into the Glock category, although I cant really get used to the way they feel and look. But they do shoot straight and whatnot.

But my love/hate relationship goes to the H&K USP's. Those damn things, while beautiful IMO, those freakin' grips feel like bricks with tacks glued onto them. Square, bulky, and uncomfortable to shoot. I've tried hard to like them and want to own one, but I doubt I ever will.:(

Too much counterstrike for me

·
Registered
334 Posts
A Glock was my first handgun and I shot the hell out of it for years, my wife (then girlfriend) bought me a Kimber Elite Carry (like the CDP, with 20lpi checkering and only made 1200 of them)for Christmas and If ell in love with it. Couple year later I've sold the Glock because I shot the Kimber so much better. Bought a Springfield full size loaded with the money and I still shoot the Kimber much better. Now I'm debating smithing the Springfield to feel and look (sights) like the Kimber or just sell it and buy a full size Kimber.

Every once in a while I think about buying another Glock, but then I realize that I won't really use it for anythng which is why I sold the first one. They're great functional guns, but I just don't "mesh" with them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hjk,
while being a 1911-type of guy, i don't have a whole lot bad to say about Glocks, except that they are plastic. they are a well designed, utilitarian firearm. i've shot plenty of them, and while they don't feel quite right, they shoot where i aim, and go BANG when i pull the trigger. good enough for me in a pinch.
i have shot a a few Glocks (G19, G17, G21) that went through Robar's grip surgery, and it makes a world of difference. they trim off the grip "hump" at the bottom,among other things, and it feels like a new gun.
the SA XD series is also a wonderful platform. performance is on par with Glocks, and they feel better to me.
just thought i'd chime in.

kris

·
Registered
283 Posts
I broke down a few weeks ago and bought a G17 to use in competition(IDPA). When I first took the gun to the range I couldn't hit anything with it. The trigger with awful(to me). I had a 3.5 lb trigger installed. Groups started getting smaller but I still didn't like the creep in the trigger. The owner of the range where I was shooting at asked me how I liked the gun. I replied that I wasn't thrilled with it and I needed to work with it some more. I showed him the target I was shooting at and he blurts out "You're flinching too much. I can fix that!" He takes my G17, breaks it down removes a few parts and replaces them. He puts the gun back together and tells me to go back into the range and give it another try. I fire off 10 rds and there it is, all 10 right where I wanted them to be. I asked him what he did to the gun and he told me he replaced a few springs and installed a disconnecter(?). Keep in mind I know very little about glocks. Well whatever he did, the gun shoots great and the gun and I are on our way to starting a wonderful friendship. I hated the gun at first but now I love it(for competition). I might even look into buying a G22 or a G21 for a carry weapon.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Wanna Glock that fits your hand?...buy a Springfield XD.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts