1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen sparks and/or flames come out of the muzzle before, but never through the ejection port!

I reloaded some CCI .45 ACP cases with 200 gr. LSWC bullets, Remington large pistol primers and 4.5 gr. WW 231 powder searching for a light target load. They functioned OK but about 1 round in 10 would shoot what I would call sparks through the ejection port while cycling.

When I got home approximately the same percentage of cases showed “scorch” marks on one side of the case.

My best guess at this point is that the loads are of too little pressure to seal the casing within the chamber thus permitting some blow-by of powder.

Has anyone seen this phenomenon before? Is it a dangerous thing or merely an annoyance?

Appreciate any replies.

Steve in Topeka

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Steve,

In my 45's I shoot mostly light target loads similar to yours, and don't recall ever seeing sparks come out of the ejection port. Scorched case, yes.

In any case, I can't see how it might be dangerous.

Are you paying attention to your crimp? A varying crimp might cause the "one out of ten" event you're seeing.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Something has to be causing the scorch marks on the causes - more than likely it is sparks or flames blowing by.

If sparks/flames are getting all the way past the case and out the ejection port, I suppose you could have an overly loose chamber or your rounds are sized too small/crimped too much and aren't developing enough pressure to fully seal against the chamber. You can minimize this by dialing off the crimp so the cases don't need to expand as much to seal.

Another possibility might be a build up of some unbrunt powder that is igniting every so often.

·
Banned
758 Posts
I get a little scortch on one side of my re-load cases, honestly I don't care, my re-loads are more accurate and less re-coil.

The sparks out the ejection port though......dunno:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts