1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy:

My wife, in a bid to turn me from an accumulator into a collector, just bought me a Webley Mk VI, manufactured in 1916. (Yes, I know. I am a blessed man by any standard of measure.) The cylander's face has been ground down so that .45ACP with moon clips can be used to run it (S&W .45 moon clips work). Problem is, the Webley Mk VI was chambered in .455 Webley, which generated even LESS pressure than .45ACP and pushed a 265gr HBRN lead bullet out of the bbl at less than 700 fps. Also, the bores are generally in the nieghborhood of .454 vs .452 for the .45ACP. I don't want to shake apart my new, cool break-top revo with standard pressure .45ACP and I don't want to wear out the bbl with FMJ ammo.

So, is there a commercial .45ACP round that is lower pressure than ususal and used lead bullets?

I figure that I will have to finally get into reloading for the Webley, but I would like to shoot it sooner, rather than later.

Thanks for your knowledge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Webley Mark VI coming next week. I couldn't find any commercial loads suitable for it so I'm gearing up to reload for it. I used Lyman's manual, which has pressures for both starting and maximum loads. Some of the starting loads are low enough for the Webley (around 12,600 c.u.p.) or somewhat lower for a safety margin.
Mike

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I don't know of any commercially loaded (new) .45 ACP lead rounds. You could try 3D ammo in the blue box with a 230 grain lead bullet that is reloaded, but I think the pressures are still SAMMI spec. For the Webley modified for .45 ACP, it looks like your best bet is to reload using the low side of the reloading data. The other thing you could try is getting ahold of some .45 Auto-Rim brass and downloading it with heavy lead .45 Colt bullets in the 250-270 grain range to simulate the .455 Webley round.

·
Registered
673 Posts
This appears to be the same diameter round as 45 Colt or 45 Long Colt. The bullets run .454/.455 diameter. I would start with about 2.1/2.4 grains of Bulleye or 2.2/2.5 of Winchester 231. This should get eh bullet out the end of the barrel. It may stick in the paper. This shold be a good starting point. BE CAREFUL.
Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts