1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on fitting a new Storm Lake barrel to this old beater commander. I've got the required .045 upper lug engagement and the barrel sits on the bed and hits the VIS correctly with the required 1/32 ramp to barrel gap with the SS run through the link.

My next step is fitting the lower lugs.

Question is,

Is this doable with a small round file some Dykem and patience or should I pony up and buy the Lug cutter from Brownells.

I've installed .250 radius Beavertails and have the patience. My question is is it possible to hand fit the lower lugs and keep them perpendicular to the barrel center line and parallel to the SS pin by marking, assembling, rotating the SS, disassembling, lightly filing and repeating.

BTW Check out my Post Number.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
CAN you cut the lower lugs with a file...well sure. SHOULD you, No. It is not simply clearancing the lugs for the pin. The barrel needs to sit even, with equal contact, or you risk accuracy, and possibly premature barel faiure. I will never recommend anyone fit the lower lugs with a hand file. Buy the lug cutter and the .195 bit and save yourself the cost of a new barrel.

·
Banned
817 Posts
CAN you cut the lower lugs with a file...well sure. SHOULD you, No. It is not simply clearancing the lugs for the pin. The barrel needs to sit even, with equal contact, or you risk accuracy, and possibly premature barel faiure. I will never recommend anyone fit the lower lugs with a hand file. Buy the lug cutter and the .195 bit and save yourself the cost of a new barrel.
This is really good advice, especially the part about saving the cost of a new barrel. Please don't ask how I know.
Bill:mummy:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered the Cutter with 195 bit from Brownells.........

Thank you for the advice......

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be quite interested to see how it comes along! Good luck!
I could take before and after pics..........:D

With the holiday I probably wont see the tool till late next week.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Big Blue......

Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I think you could have done it with just a file. I have not done this by file, but as I understand it, the jig holds the barrel up while cutting. I think lower lug evenness side to side could be controlled by keeping the hood side gaps even.

On the other hand, the lug cutter is a likely time and headache saver!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
In the video, after he cut the lugs with the lug cutter and he figured the slide stop pin would still hit the lugs, did he make the right decision in jumping up to the longer link?
Respects, Pedro.

·
Registered
192 Posts
At the beginning of this video (#11) he addresses the lower lug issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saAjVKm_GSI

At minute 16:15 of this first firing video (#9) he makes comments about the lower lug, and at minute 19:00 he makes comments about the slide lock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAFcusA_Ick

At minute 1:30 of this second firing video (#10) he describes work he feels he should do on the extractor to deal with the occasional problem of not going into battery. At minute 27:00 he comments on this not really being necessary. At minute 22:30 to works on the lower lugs : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChrhzUnQCGo

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Thanks Big Blue,
I was watching #5, which is the one the link you posted brought me to.
I shouldn't have asked until I watched all of them.
Respects, Pedro.

·
Premium Member
14,622 Posts
Take all instructions, youtube, or typed here under advisement. Jay Williams is a member here and is better versed at how to do a Youtube then doing 1911 work. Beware of all his ramblings.

LOG

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
No offense to the man who made the video and certainly not you for posting it but I wouldn't use that video as a guide. I mean, who fits a barrel to a slide without a barrel bushing? He even admits that it isn't the right way or that it would be easier to do with a bushing.

You kinda have to use a loose fitting bushing or the one you are fitting to the gun.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you can take it, watch it in its entirety. He worked some magic on that poor frame as well. All logic and any mechanical comprehension the author has were left out of this video. I just realized that this is the same video that horrified the community earlier this year.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts