1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just paid off my Kimber Tactical Pro II (pictures coming soon). I'd like very much to put a lowered safety switch on because when I grip my strong-hand-thumb pushes the safety up (not something I'd like to do in a SHTF situation). I went to a dealer yesterday and got the number of a local gunsmith. I'm thinking he might be able to help but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Banned
855 Posts
Brownell's is a great place for almost any parts or tools you'll want. Here's the link to your safety:http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...p=6677&title=1911+AUTO+LOW+MOUNT+THUMB+SAFETY

Another option is to shoot with your thumb riding on top of the safety. Many 1911 shooters do this to avoid the problem you mentioned. There's been a long-standing debate over this practice, so you can decide which camp to join.
JM

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Thanks for the info! Ill try that grip and see how it works.

An update on my pistol though...
I compared it to the picture on kimber's website. I think, maybe,it is a custom shop pistol. It has an ambi-safety and the premium two hole, match grade, aluminum trigger. I'm not sure whether or not it has been customized or not. Any help with this will also be appreciated.

Again, thank you very much for the information.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Darengin said:
Thanks for the info! Ill try that grip and see how it works.

An update on my pistol though...
I compared it to the picture on kimber's website. I think, maybe,it is a custom shop pistol. It has an ambi-safety and the premium two hole, match grade, aluminum trigger. I'm not sure whether or not it has been customized or not. Any help with this will also be appreciated.

Again, thank you very much for the information.
The pictures of the Tac Pro II on Kimber's website are wrong. The Tac Pro II comes with everything you mentioned.

jmcneil said:
Another option is to shoot with your thumb riding on top of the safety.
That's how I grip now. It was uncomfortable at first, but after using that grip through a recent 4 day class, it feels natural.

Good luck. :)

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Just remember if you do get a new thumb safety, it will need to be fitted to the sear.

If you don't know how to do that, suggest you take it to a 'smith.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, thank you. I was going to take it to a gunsmith anyways, I have no Idea what to do when it comes to that. And thanks for the info on the wrong tac pro picture.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Gunsite Low Thumb Safety

Gunsite Low Thumb Safety (among other small changes). Series II (not IIe) Ultra Carry.

Thumb safety "fitting" is easy. One draw of the file at a time. Replace and check fit. Repeat if necessary. Search for instructions, they're out there with diagrams even I can understand. It's vital that the sear not move even microscopically with the safety on. Patience.

Other visible changes are standard trigger, thin AlumaGrips, XS24/7 tritium sights, Ed Brown checkered magazine release button. Not shown in this photo and currently under test are serrated (vs checkered) mainspring housing and Ed Brown Hard Core extractor. Both put on last night and awaiting range firing. The Kimber extractor is fine and machined stainless steel, I always fit a spare when possible.

-- Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts