1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own and shoot a P220 and SA Loaded 5" and both love to punch great groups in paper and are 100% reliable.

I replaced the full length guide rod in the SA 5" with a standard plunger and spring guide. To me simple is better.

I am now in the process of purchasing a Ltwt Champion Operator. My question is what kind of fucacta dissasembly / assembly process am I looking at? :scratch: I have heard something about inserting a paper clip somewhere. Is there some way of simplifying the procedure? Is it going to be a pain in the a$$ to field strip the Lwt Champ Opr or is it a non issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Buy the LW Champ Operator. You can find other posts by myself raving about it in this forum.

So let me set you straight on the dissassembly procedure. I figured out the easiest way.

First I will say it is easy to do.

You will find a little black plastic piece in the box called the takedown piece. It is necessary for the procedure unless you like pain.

Per the manual, you lock the slide to the rear and snap the takedown piece over the guide rod...a bit tricky.

Then you take down the gun as usual...remove the slide stop.

Now the guide rod assy will easily be removed from the gun. The takedown piece remains on the guide rod. The takedown piece keeps the guide rod and spring assy compressed for easy removal and reassembly.

Take out the bbl. Done!

Reassemble in reverse order (love those instructions).

Now here is where is is a bit trickier that the full size gun.

In order to not tear hair out and scratch slide with slide stop and fatigue your hand, put slide stop in slide when there is NO spring tension or compression. Carefully manipulate the slide stop past the plunger but do not push the slide stop any further yet.
Then you can one-hand compress the slide so the slide stop mates with the notch. When it is lined up, push the stop in to complete procedure.

When slide stop is in completely, lock slide to rear and remove the takedown piece. Ride slide forward and do function check.

It is easier that it sounds. After you do it one time, it is cake.

·
Registered
440 Posts
army_eod said:
You will find a little black plastic piece in the box called the takedown piece. It is necessary for the procedure unless you like pain.

Per the manual, you lock the slide to the rear and snap the takedown piece over the guide rod...a bit tricky.

<Snip>

In order to not tear hair out and scratch slide with slide stop and fatigue your hand, put slide stop in slide when there is NO spring tension or compression. Carefully manipulate the slide stop past the plunger but do not push the slide stop any further yet.
Then you can one-hand compress the slide so the slide stop mates with the notch. When it is lined up, push the stop in to complete procedure.

When slide stop is in completely, lock slide to rear and remove the takedown piece. Ride slide forward and do function check.

It is easier that it sounds. After you do it one time, it is cake.
Good info on the slide stop. That's how I do my LW Champion. I also made my own plastic "takedown clip" that's about 1" long. That way, the take down notch lines up with the stop.

Cloudpeak

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a let champ op and I replaced the guide rod setup with Wilson combats 2piece setup. It uses an Allen wrench for disassembly rather than a cruddy piece of plastic. To me its much easier to taken apart than the factory setup. Although you could also just use a short guide rod like a to type or something.

·
Registered
440 Posts
svguy said:
I have a let champ op and I replaced the guide rod setup with Wilson combats 2piece setup. It uses an Allen wrench for disassembly rather than a cruddy piece of plastic. To me its much easier to taken apart than the factory setup. Although you could also just use a short guide rod like a to type or something.
If you wouldn't mind, would you go through the disassembly and assembly with the Wilson setup? I assume this conversion is for the later model Champion with the bull barrel?

I have the two piece guide rod on my 5" loaded(with barrel bushing) and it's a piece of cake. But, with a reverse plug setup like the one on the Champ, it looks like you'd have to really compress the spring when installing it and then quickly slide in the front part of the 2 piece rod & get it threaded into the part that fits against the barrel lugs so the spring doesn't go flying.

I bought the EGW version and it uses a paper clip in a drilled hole for take down. But, when the pistol is assembled, there is .030" movement fore and aft of the barrel/slide assembly which sure doesn't seem right.

I like the idea of being able to use cheaper springs than the dual spring setup and to lower the spring rate for reduced loads. I do think the dual spring factory setup is very easy to take down and it seems, no matter which solution for springs you use, you'll need some kind of tool, i.e. paper clip, allen wrench, half circle thingy.

Thanks, Cloudpeak

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I didn't even know there was a take-down tool with the gun until not that long ago. :rolleyes: I've never used a tool to take-down my Lightweight Champion Operator. Disassembly is a breeze. Putting it back together takes a little time, though. The guide rod is kinda a pain, but only because of the angle of things. I'm not complaining, though. I don't think it's that difficult to take apart and put back together, even without using a tool. Get the gun. You'll love it!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
svguy said:

Will the Wilson two-piece drop in the new Champion without any fitting???

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Live2Ride said:
I didn't even know there was a take-down tool with the gun until not that long ago. :rolleyes: I've never used a tool to take-down my Lightweight Champion Operator. Disassembly is a breeze. Putting it back together takes a little time, though. The guide rod is kinda a pain, but only because of the angle of things. I'm not complaining, though. I don't think it's that difficult to take apart and put back together, even without using a tool. Get the gun. You'll love it!
trust me...using the plastic takedown tool makes it way easier to work with.

·
Registered
364 Posts
there's no fitting required for the two piece Wilson setup but like it said it does take an Allen wrench. For disassembly I put the Allen wrench in the end and unscrew the rod about half way then I remove the slide stop and take off the slide. Then with the slide off I finish unscrewing half the guide rod remove that half and compress the spring a little and pull out the back half and remove everything. Assembly is simply the reverse.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
svguy said:
there's no fitting required for the two piece Wilson setup but like it said it does take an Allen wrench. For disassembly I put the Allen wrench in the end and unscrew the rod about half way then I remove the slide stop and take off the slide. Then with the slide off I finish unscrewing half the guide rod remove that half and compress the spring a little and pull out the back half and remove everything. Assembly is simply the reverse.
Next question: there is no spring shown with the Wilson guide rod. What do you use for the spring?

Thx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts