1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I need some advice/input.

Have two Wilsons, 3 Baers and a host of other 1911s as well as other weapons. For a long time I used FP10 as a lube (cleaning with Hoppe's #9) but noticed that the FP10 would a) run out of the gun, even if I used just a little, and b) believe it or not, it seemed to literally evaporate. I'd lube either a little or a lot (tried both), and after a period of time there was no lube on the barrel/rails/wherever.

A friend suggested Froglube. Following the company directions I found that the slide seemed to move slower on the rails during hand cycling, like happened when I'd use SlideGlide or other grease on the rails. Felt like the slide was lubed with maple syrup, as one poster on the lubrication mentioned. However, both my Wilsons and all of my Baers functioned perfectly (even when cold, on the first shot) with the Froglube regardless of hand cycling "slowness" (if you will, for lack of a better term). So even though it, well, feels slow, the function is fine using the Froglube.

Full disclosure: I've found Froglube does not get my guns as clean as I like, so even though it's a PITA I clean using traditional solvents and then reapply the Froglube using heat as directed.

I've done searches regarding lubrication on the Gunsmithing forum - and read all 17 pages there - and also on this forum, and I've found opinions are all over the map. People either love Froglube or they hate it; very little middle ground. Couldn't talk with Wilson today as they're closed, but I did order some Ultima-Lube (both grease and oil) and thought I'd try it. A bunch like synthetic motor oil and I'm using Amsoil in my Vette so I could also try that.

But without trying to incite a riot here, I'm asking you for your opinions. I'm looking for a lubrication that will not evaporate or slow my guns down function-wise.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
You are not likely to get any answers other than the hundreds and hundreds of opinions you have already read.

This topic has been beaten absolutely to death and by your own admission your search has produced results "all over the map" so I'm not sure what new information you hope to uncover in this thread.

Just pick one and go with it. If it does not perform to your expectations then try something else. You already have...we already have....thousands of opinions on dozens of products.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use weapon shield for CLP and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The ultima oil is all I have been using in my X Tac. I may transition to universal for the rails and barrel in the warmer months but the oil seems to be more than sufficient. It does not evaporate and does not run very much compared to most other oils.

The universal I've been using in my glock has been awesome. It stays put and the consistency is between an oil and a grease so its slick as hell.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
WC oil or oil lite.

Hi Mike:
I use Wilson Ultima-Lube II oil on the rails, barrel lug, etc. with no problems-I have some lite oil but have not used any yet. I will sometimes use the universal on the barrel/bushing and full length guild rod just to use up what I have already purchased but the oil works fine on those parts as well. I believe Wilson produces the grease more for their rifle products as opposed to the 1911 line.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Froglube runs a little slow during the break of new 1911s. Especially when it is cold out and it is applied a bit too thick. I have noticed the same thing. Wipe a little more off and see how it runs. I have had excellent luck with Froglube over many thousands of rounds and a few years of use. I only use the liquid on the inside surfaces, and very sparingly after initial application.

·
Registered
374 Posts
http://www.mil-comm.com

TW-25B is the official lubricant of Sig Sauer! Used by all branches of the military and a number of government agencies.

I've been a user of the stuff after Bruce Gray worked over a number of my pistols. If it slides, grease it. If it rolls, oil it. The stuff works great! It stays in place and doesn't wear off like oil does.

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Howdy all. I need some advice/input.

Have two Wilsons, 3 Baers and a host of other 1911s as well as other weapons. For a long time I used FP10 as a lube (cleaning with Hoppe's #9) but noticed that the FP10 would a) run out of the gun, even if I used just a little, and b) believe it or not, it seemed to literally evaporate. I'd lube either a little or a lot (tried both), and after a period of time there was no lube on the barrel/rails/wherever.

A friend suggested Froglube. Following the company directions I found that the slide seemed to move slower on the rails during hand cycling, like happened when I'd use SlideGlide or other grease on the rails. Felt like the slide was lubed with maple syrup, as one poster on the lubrication mentioned. However, both my Wilsons and all of my Baers functioned perfectly (even when cold, on the first shot) with the Froglube regardless of hand cycling "slowness" (if you will, for lack of a better term). So even though it, well, feels slow, the function is fine using the Froglube.

Full disclosure: I've found Froglube does not get my guns as clean as I like, so even though it's a PITA I clean using traditional solvents and then reapply the Froglube using heat as directed.

I've done searches regarding lubrication on the Gunsmithing forum - and read all 17 pages there - and also on this forum, and I've found opinions are all over the map. People either love Froglube or they hate it; very little middle ground. Couldn't talk with Wilson today as they're closed, but I did order some Ultima-Lube (both grease and oil) and thought I'd try it. A bunch like synthetic motor oil and I'm using Amsoil in my Vette so I could also try that.

But without trying to incite a riot here, I'm asking you for your opinions. I'm looking for a lubrication that will not evaporate or slow my guns down function-wise.

Thanks

Mike
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ultima-Lube-II-Oil-4-oz-Bottle/productinfo/577-4/

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had some of the same problems and even had some stove piping with my WC TE. The stovepipes and other problems I had could be other issues but the choice of lubricants came up. In doing research and contacting WC Rep for insight I came to the conclusion that the Ultima-Lube II Lite would work best for my application. WC Rep pointed out that the ambient air temperature would affect the cycling and even cause the slide to move slower, as you also stated with Frog Lube. I changed to the Lite and not a problem since. Contact WC Rep with a PM and he will steer you clear on which one of their lubricants to use. His advice is always lube liberally, shoot, clean and repeat.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ultima-Lube-II-Lite-Oil-2-oz-Bottle/productinfo/621-2/

Here is my link to Stovepipes and double feeds in my WC TE: Tons of great information in it.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=421044&highlight=stovepipes

Hope this helps, it worked for me

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I paid a lot for my 3 Supergrades. It makes sense to me to use their recommended lubricants and ammunition. I use WC standard viscosity oil for my .45 Supergrade and the lighter viscosity for the 9mm Supergrages. Never had a problem.

I use WC grease on my shotguns. I think it's far too thick for pistols.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree there are many many options/opinion's about lubrication. In my supergrade I use wilson's lubes exclusively all of them dependant on what I am doing IE grease if going hardcore range session etc etc. My logic was this....I could not possibly do enough research or trail and error to come to a reliable conclusion (I have other 1911's that functioned for years without wilson lube but they are of different tolerances) so I trust wilson's experience. Wilson wants us to buy their lube, they make money at it BUT so do all the other companies the difference is that if wilson's lubes don't work well, the guns will be going back to wilson to be fixed. WC has something to loose, the others don't so I go with Wilson........

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I'm not sure if in all your research you already discovered this, but I learned a lot from it. I think it might answer a lot of the questions/concerns you have.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Be safe, Rob
I don't get the ATF love. Too many friction modifiers to dilute the oil. It really doesn't matter, but still...

Wilson uses a polyurea grease, which works really well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I use whatever I have handy (rem oil, mobile, transmission fluid, etc). It just doesn't mean as much as some people make it out to. Just keep it clean and it will run all day. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I don't get the ATF love. Too many friction modifiers to dilute the oil. It really doesn't matter, but still...

Wilson uses a polyurea grease, which works really well.
I'll follow the chemical engineer's advice!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Great thread! I used to use FP10 but after I got my WC I switched to their lubrication system. I was using RIG on my SXS shotguns but switched that to WC grease as well.

I found the lubrication article to be very informative, thanks!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I use the different weights of Ultima lube (I usually get a bottle when I order parts and mags and other stuff from Wilson to make the shipping charges worth it). I use Slip 2000 EWL on really tight fitting guns.

I also use Mobil 1. I bought a set of confectioners' (frosting) bottles from a bakery shop with small tips and dispense it from those.

Whatever that stays on the rails after a few hundred rounds is my lube of choice.

CLP isn't the best because it evaporates when it heats up, and if you're shooting 200+ in a single session, you'll be running dry and dirty towards the end. I just use CLP to clean the guns, then lube it with the thicker stuff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't own my wilson yet (on order). But I have used the same lube on all my firearms going back YEARS, AR-15s, Sigs, you name it, and have never had a single issue. Mobil1 0-30 synthetic motor oil. Designed for high heat metal to metal contact. Never "evaporates", and always stays where you put it. Works better than anything I have ever purchased off the shelf marketed towards firearms.

Any of you guys run it on your 1911s?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts