1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you saw my other posts, then you know I traded in a .44 mag and old 9mm and put a CBOB on layaway. Hope to pick up by Christmas. I did a forum search and read some about breaking in the CBOB, but wanted to as a three questions of owners.

1) I have small hands and use thin grips on my Para GI Expert. Do you have any recommendation for thin grips that will fit the CBOB? Factory grips felt pretty good, but I would like to switch them out for thin grips.

2) Have any of you replaced the mainspring housing with the Ed Brown Bobtail chainlink mainspring housing? i know it can be ordered from Brownells, but wonder if it fits or if it's hard to install.

3) My dealer tells me they have sold 60 CBOBs and have sent 2 back because they locked up from lube that was too thick. I run my Para GI expert very wet, but was told to only use FP-10 (I think that's what it's called) as the DW fit is very tight. Is this what most of you would recommend?

Thanks again for helping a newbie.

Jason

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry for all the typos

don't want you guys to think I can't spell. Typing on a laptop with two kids and two dogs running circles around me---means I have to type fast to get anything posted.

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
If you saw my other posts, then you know I traded in a .44 mag and old 9mm and put a CBOB on layaway. Hope to pick up by Christmas. I did a forum search and read some about breaking in the CBOB, but wanted to as a three questions of owners.

1) I have small hands and use thin grips on my Para GI Expert. Do you have any recommendation for thin grips that will fit the CBOB? Factory grips felt pretty good, but I would like to switch them out for thin grips.

2) Have any of you replaced the mainspring housing with the Ed Brown Bobtail chainlink mainspring housing? i know it can be ordered from Brownells, but wonder if it fits or if it's hard to install.

3) My dealer tells me they have sold 60 CBOBs and have sent 2 back because they locked up from lube that was too thick. I run my Para GI expert very wet, but was told to only use FP-10 (I think that's what it's called) as the DW fit is very tight. Is this what most of you would recommend?

Thanks again for helping a newbie.

Jason
#1. www.thefinergrain.com
#2. Easy, pm JDSig
#3. FP-10

That was easy!!:)

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
I'm with NK on this one. And I add "LOTS OF LUBE" during break in and hand cycle that puppy (unloaded) a bunch before your first trip out.
CLEAN
LUBE WELL
HAND CYCLE MANY TIMES
CLEAN
LUBE WELL
SHOOT OUT A COUPLE MAGS OF BALL 230gr
LUBE SOME MORE
REPEAT FOR A COUPLE HUNDRED ROUNDS (or however much you brought)
CLEAN WELL and RELUBE
You should be good to go. Remember. LUBE is your friend. :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Congratulations on your upcoming acquisition!

Don't forget that you'll need different bushings for slim grips. I'd also recommend getting a bushing wrench rather than trying to remove them with a screwdriver - they're very easy to screw up. Ask me how I know...

Joe

·
Registered
627 Posts
#1. www.thefinergrain.com
#2. Easy, pm JDSig
#3. FP-10

That was easy!!:)
Not much needed after that. Ryan (Sarge in the forums here), the mastermind behind thefinergrain, is excellent with his woods and just an upstanding guy in general.

For slim grips you do need to order the slim bushings and screws. I did some research and also talked to Ryan also and it seems that brownells are perfectly fine and are decently priced. I would just say don't go with the swensons they break a lot.

I always slather it down with oil instead of grease. I have heard this plenty from other forums with 1911s that are made to very tight tolerances that the grease can bind them up sometimes before they are broke in some.

Oh yeh and congrats on your new gun. Now comes the hard part waiting and juggling finances to see if you can get it earlier.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FP10 all over, and some synthetic tetra gun grease for the mail rails (a light film). Aside from slippery fingers that caused me to lose grip on the recoil spring and thus losing the plug, the combo has worked like a charm for me so far :D

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
You can use any thin grips on your Bob. You'll just need a file to fit the Bob'd section.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts