1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an endurance game . 1911s vs Glocks , 1000rds in one day , no cleaning or lubing allowed after first shot . Last year I used Break Free CLP for the same match .I had about 10 failure to go into battery . I found it dried up alot quicker than I thought it would .

What should I use ?

Whats the cleanest Factory Ammo?

BTW the Glocks won last year.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like grease for lube. I've used Shooters Choice to good effect. However, this is what I use on my Glock. I just got my 1st 1911 so it may not be the trick for it. It seems a bit lighter than automotive grease.

Cleanest factory ammo should be Winclean. Not only lead free but very clean burning as well. 2nd hand from others range reports. I can't find it locally and shoot almost entirely reloads.

Good luck. Give em hell. I'm a long time Glock owner but most of my "kin" need to be taken down a few notches. They'd probably be pretty sore loosers too so be ready for excuses to fly ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Without a doubt,FP-10.
Apply the FP-10 with a soft tooth brush or acid brush and work it into the metal well.Assembly the pistol and work the slide a few times and wipe off the excess.Good to go.
Raymond

·
Registered
838 Posts
While I love and do use FP-10 in all my guns. There is only one product I would recommend for shooting 1000 rounds between cleaning - Brian Enos' Slide Glide.

FWIW once last season I went about 3 weeks(around 1600 rounds) without cleaning my Colt lubed with Slide Glide. I never once encounter a FTF(eed) or Failure to Return to Battery problem. I finally gave up the little experiment because I just couldn't stand shooting a dirty gun anymore. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have run many 1911 style 1k in day.New guns- Various makes include Kimber Series I full size, Kimber Pro Carry series II, NRM Colt, SA Mil Spec. These were new and we just "run what we brung".

The Kimbers were run out of box, no disassmbly,no cleaning, inspect, nothing...these came in "dry" not "wet" as many Kimbers come in. Series I Kimber I used some Winchester gun oil that is, I dunno 40 yrs old ( tin can red, yellow and black ) Pro Carry some old GI lube. Other lubes include Pro-Tech oil ( NRM), and Formula 3 by Kleenbore for the SA. They all ran 1k w/o malfs or anything, We ran the Kimbers the next day another 1 k.

Used guns : another Series I Kimber, and old series 80. These we used G96 Gun Treatment, all ran the 1k except the Caspian...we ran out of ammo at a little over 900 rds, but It would have made it- it was lubed using the old old Breakfree CLP.

We just grabbed what was handy out the box of 'stuff" that accumulates at the shop and range.

Why we did this? My buddy and I wanted to make two points.

1) the 1911 style is a great design and does not need to be worked on to work. We became really tired of hearing one has to work on a 1911 before being used.

2) Sick and tired of hearing of 'wonder lubes'. If one does not use this or that the gun won't run. Rubbish. JMB didn't have the wonder products and the gun ran 6k rds in testing. Actually wanted to re-enforce -people better off spending the time and monies worring about cleaning and what to use, buying ammo and shooting. Buddy and I adamantly refuse to use, recommend, or buy into any and all 'wonder lube' hype. Especially with some of the marketing going on.

The design is proven. Just shoot the darn thing. Inspect and maintain.

IMNSHO

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just put about 600 rounds of three different reloads through my 9mm 1911 yesterday. I'm probably due to replace the recoil spring. It ran fine, and it feels so good hand cycling today that I'm going to have to convince myself to clean it. Lubed with Militec 1.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Glocks always win on pure reliability. You gotta give 'em that. They're not perfect, and they're certainly comparatively ugly compared to a nice 1911, but they run.

Grease, eg. Slide-Glide and others, might be a good idea for 1000 round tests in clean conditions, but I'll take a good CLP for best-overall reliability, including in sandy and dusty conditions, and FP-10 has THE best and most convincing specs.

I've shot 750 rounds at one time in one gun (Glock30) with it, no problems. Don't believe I've ever shot 1000 rounds at any one time, though, ever!

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I use a bicycle chain lubricant called Tenacious oil on the rails. It is fairly thick and stays put. I can put 500 rds through the pistol and still have the rails shiny with lube. Works like a charm.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
In theory grease should run longer than oil. the Glock should win the contest because Glock seem to run cleaner than 1911's

·
Registered
116 Posts
Let me clarify something for the record.

Firearms today may not have the "old school" craftmanship, tool steel, individual attention and the like as they used to. Yep, I miss this too. Today's firearms will run and work without a bunch of work needed to run. Lets face it , many options exist today that didn't in days of yore.

The reality is , anything, even firearms, come from the factory "not right". Quanity,(bean counters) has interferred with quality, anything made will break, tear up, need maint. Reality sucks sometimes huh?

Many of the "options" were implemented to have a firearm fill another use. Since we are mainly speaking of the 1911 platform, the bulls-eye shooter has a different need ( criteria) than the soldier on the battlefield.

Lets be honest, many tweak and add bling bling because that is their nature, that is fine too.

That said I have taken a Kimber series I, a 22/45, and various other platforms and run 'em extended sessions with FP-10. Oversight on my part perhaps on above post by me, but I have.

Personally , at one point in my life I was more perhaps anal about cleaning, dunno why, maybe the weather changed who knows. I didn't grow up, wasn't taught to be anal about stuff. I was taught to inspect and maintain...I still believe in this as most important. Always have been one to want to spend more time shooting than cleaning.

As a rule, I don't bash people's guns. I really don't give a hoot what someone carries. MY criteria is the gun fit shooter in a platform, with ammo that works everytime in that gun,in the largest caliber the shooter can aquire quick accurate hits. I will voice and question a shooter using a gun ( 1.5 # trigger for carry for instance) as being "unsafe". Wouldn't recommend a Loricin either.

Now gun cleaning and such. Honest, it ain't that big of deal to me. Gasp! Yep, I inspect and maintain, change springs when need and all that. IMO a gun should run ~ 500 rds before it needs attention. Yep, I've just racked a slide put a few drops here and there , and run it. Yep, I've pipe cleaned the chamber and extractor only, wiped off the finger prints and holstered it with carry loads. I have the right to be wrong tho'. I have run mine in all types of environs, done the Vickers Sand test...because I figure Murphy is always around the corner, and I probably won't be afforded the luxury of 70* sunshine, and perfect Weaver stance. My butt will probably be wet with mud rain and shooting from a downed man drill...who knows, my luck it'll be weak handed with the ejction port pointed down. Yes my CCWs shoot upside down, two fingered, port up/port down, "gansta style"... and any other way...Murphy... ya never know.

So If I came across as "bashing" anyone's favorite lube, I apologize. I really don't care what one shoots or lubes with. I've gotten where I really don't care a lot about a lot of stuff I once thought important. Maybe I hit curmudgeon status early--Good!

Yep, I know George, I've used FP-10, I've been a guest of his,and he is a gracious guest. Well except for the part when the elves were not in the plant and I had to bottle my own bottle of FP-10 and I didn't get to play with the fork lift.:p

[oh and the boy really cannot cook...so so on making coffee]

I've met and shot with Team Firepower...ok...I'm outclassed, I had fun and learnt tho'. Even learnt where the local hospital was in small town in TN ( we won't go there, except TN has some real slick clay and rocks are very sharp). Nurses are cute tho'. Dunno what the heck the nurses need with FP-10, didn't care, nurses will talk to you if you give them a free sample ...hey it worked and I bet there is not a squeaky hinge in the house, or vehicle.:p

So apologies to George, the forum, any members, or any firearm mfg, or firearm related products company.

I just spent time teaching folks how to shoot in my life, they really needed to shoot the darn thing. Honest, the women are better students, they listen, they practice, they continue to put rounds downrange. I might just be a used police trade-in model 10 , with grips that fit and a holster from the "used bin" that had to be re-sewn/adapted to fit the anatomy of a lady. But that lady is CCW-ing, she can hit her target ,she can do a reload with her speedloader. To me this is more important than the shooter that is "afraid" to shoot his high priced gun, for fear of scratching, will "have to clean it for 2 hrs"...and the holster will remove the finish.

So my apologies, theories, and take on the whole matter. Curmudgeon or not, the bottom line we are all on the same side...or we should be.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I can't really explain why but that post was on the verge of being moving. It certainly got me thinking about the time I spend pampering guns vs. time I spend shooting them.

Thanks re1973

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your inputs . To carify , I normally use CLP or FP-10 but feel I need some specialized slickum for this 1000rd grudge Match vs the "tupperware" guns . Yes they won last year and if I were a bettin man my money would go on the plastic . But since I am competitive , I'm going to kick some Glock butt.
We do have a good time .
Looks like there are going to be 15 shooters on each team .
The team with the least malfuntions win .
What does it prove ?
Nothing.
But it sure is fun .:D

·
Registered
465 Posts
re1973,
Tell us how you really feel.That was good man.
Im the same way about shootin.But when it gets too dark to shoot Im cleaning something on the guns.Its all part of the fun for me.
Being an single fella with no significant other(gun hobby comes first,so there it is)I have to have something to keep me busy when Im not shootin.
Raymond

·
Registered
116 Posts
SuperDave;
I'm biased toward the 1911 style. It ain't cheatin' if it works-that's ingenuity.
Ammo: Use the 200 gr LSWC , For everybody! Lessee how the Glocks run with that ;) I said I was biased.

Dunno, what 1911 styles your running but I have had good results with the old Lead SWC 200 grainer. Factory loads : WW white box 230 gr, Fed 45A ( the old classic 230 grainer), and Fioccchi 230 gr FMJ are favorites of mine. Another nobody but me seems to like, and more expensive for an endurance test is the 185 gr Win STHP, this has run in everythng I have ever put it through. Rule 1- have a gun, Rule- 2 ammo must work everytime. I spent time finding a variety of Rule 2, I just grab and go. I gotta find the recipe for the Montana Gold bullet in 200 gr I shot a bunch of...been lazy and not bothered to make anymore, gettin low. I think it was 4.8 of Accurate #2....don't quote me on that until researced and verified.

Been shooting, not cleaning or reloading. Oh been shooting at night a bunch, I don't do nightsights either,( curmudgeon again) low light and /or flashing lights...that's good practice, and changes things...especially when the fellas 'whoop" the siren...when I blow a mag change, I do it in style. :p Heck with it, went for the BUG, weak handed...it worked...they Never said I"couldn't" use a BUG...the game was "do what needed to survive". I focus on this stuff and RKBA. truth isthis year alone I've spent enough money on RKBA ( CCW rights for other states, donations for mailings, "Innoncents Betrayed"...etc) to have bought a nice high dollar gun. Not much good if the fight is lost on RKBA now is it?

I'm no big deal. I have the right to be wrong, don't much care what most people think. Just have some simple stuff that matters, priority for me. I have a very tight group I hang with, I quit competing years ago, don't care about some folks, and really don't care what people think of me. I'll leave you alone,and in turn leave me alone. I'm responsible for me, I ain't responsible for you. Borderline libertarian and anarchist. Problem with gummit is gummit. If my views align with the gummit sometimes ok...must mean some numbskull in gummit has read the Constitution lately.
Don't believe in gun control -period.

Just think learning to shoot and doing so more important than reading about it. Shooting whatever platform with whatever bullet, whether its competition or the down on the farm is more important than a lot of stuff that people get their hanes in a hitch over. Just shoot the darn thing and fight to maintain RKBA...be safe doing it ( 4 rules) and carry 24/7 . Most folks need to spend monies on training, instead of guns [gasp!] Most folks don't have a duplicate gun for CCW. So most folks be better off finding what works and having at least 3 of the same CCW gun and using it in training. Good holsters, belts and such. The rest ain't that big of deal to me.

Curmudgeonhood is great !!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Can you bring two guns?

Might be a good time to "put to test (so "it" can rest) :D" FP-10 and mobil-1 on 2 working guns firing 1K without re-oiling. Not definitive, I know, but I'm real curious of the results.;)

Personally though, I'd use FP-10 and Slide Glide.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Are FP-10 and Slide Glide compatible? Sometimes combinations do not work, different chemicals reacting and all that chemistry stuff. George?

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Mobil 1's never failed me. I frequently will shoot my G17 more than 1000 rounds between cleanings. I never have failures.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I once tried some heavy molydenum grease that worked great once the pistol heated up, stuff stayed around forever, the big problem was that it got black stains all over everything. Since then, I've stuck with clp.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts