1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can cast bullets like anyone else but up to now I do Black Powerder only bullets (round ball mostly) and hence no need for lube.
If I get a .45 mold, what tool does one use for lubing RN or SWC bullets ?

THANKS.

------------------
Dr. Bill

·
Registered
21,730 Posts
The conventional method is to use the mechanical Lubrisizer which sizes the bullet to the desired diameter, usually groove diameter +.001", .452" for .45ACP, and injects lubricant into the bullet's lube groove(s) in one operation. Lyman, RCBS, and SAECO make them. $125 and up. See your Lyman 47th manual for more information. You do have a Lyman manual, don't you?

For considerably less money, Lee makes a bullet sizing die for use in the loading press. They sell a liquid bullet lube to coat the sized bullets with by dip or dribble. Let dry before loading.

For minimum investment, Lee makes Tumble Lube bullet molds which cast a bullet close enough to barrel groove diameter not to need sizing, and many small lube grooves to retain dip lube.

I have used dip lube when absoulutely required to and it is slow and messy. The lubrisizer is the way to go if you plan to cast a lot of bullets. I mostly buy commercial cast bullets and don't have to worry about which alloy and lube to use or spend the time over a hot lead pot.

If you like making everything you use, and maybe have a cheap source of lead (wheelweights will do for pistol bullets) it is a good extension of reloading as a hobby instead of just a source of ammo.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jim....You forgot to mention Star. Pricey, but if you have the bucks you wouldn't believe how fast the process goes! You've gotta really be into the hobby to justify the cost, though.

·
Registered
688 Posts
There is (or was, maybe) a Star sizer on eBay. I know there are a couple of Lyman 450s and an RCBS sizer listed. Lots of reloading gear listed, but some guys are willing to pay as much, or in some cases more than a new "whatever" cost. Kind of discouraging when you're trying to save a few bucks.

Eddie

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you buy Laser-Cast SWC & other of their bullets the lube is manufactured into the bullet, saving time & money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured as much there would be a device called a "lubricator" but I never saw one at a gun show or dealer. Saw a few on sale on EBAY and will think about it some more. Perhaps I'll stay happy casting blackpowder only and stay away from messy lubing. I get lead for abt $30/1000 all lubed and ready to reload so I'll do other stuff with my time.
Thanks to all who replied. I learned there is alot of us who cast their own !

------------------
Dr. Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts