1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can cast bullets like anyone else but up to now I do Black Powerder only bullets (round ball mostly) and hence no need for lube.
If I get a .45 mold, what tool does one use for lubing RN or SWC bullets ?

THANKS.

------------------
Dr. Bill

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
The conventional method is to use the mechanical Lubrisizer which sizes the bullet to the desired diameter, usually groove diameter +.001", .452" for .45ACP, and injects lubricant into the bullet's lube groove(s) in one operation. Lyman, RCBS, and SAECO make them. $125 and up. See your Lyman 47th manual for more information. You do have a Lyman manual, don't you?

For considerably less money, Lee makes a bullet sizing die for use in the loading press. They sell a liquid bullet lube to coat the sized bullets with by dip or dribble. Let dry before loading.

For minimum investment, Lee makes Tumble Lube bullet molds which cast a bullet close enough to barrel groove diameter not to need sizing, and many small lube grooves to retain dip lube.

I have used dip lube when absoulutely required to and it is slow and messy. The lubrisizer is the way to go if you plan to cast a lot of bullets. I mostly buy commercial cast bullets and don't have to worry about which alloy and lube to use or spend the time over a hot lead pot.

If you like making everything you use, and maybe have a cheap source of lead (wheelweights will do for pistol bullets) it is a good extension of reloading as a hobby instead of just a source of ammo.

·
Registered
688 Posts
There is (or was, maybe) a Star sizer on eBay. I know there are a couple of Lyman 450s and an RCBS sizer listed. Lots of reloading gear listed, but some guys are willing to pay as much, or in some cases more than a new "whatever" cost. Kind of discouraging when you're trying to save a few bucks.

Eddie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured as much there would be a device called a "lubricator" but I never saw one at a gun show or dealer. Saw a few on sale on EBAY and will think about it some more. Perhaps I'll stay happy casting blackpowder only and stay away from messy lubing. I get lead for abt $30/1000 all lubed and ready to reload so I'll do other stuff with my time.
Thanks to all who replied. I learned there is alot of us who cast their own !

------------------
Dr. Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.