1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK--tomorrow's the day. California took its ten-day look and all is well, and I pick up my new Springfield 1911 loaded tomorrow. I'm going to fire a box through it right away, and here's my question: should I lubricate the pistol before I fire it for the first time, or should I bang away? I can imagine arguments on either side, but I'd like to hear what you guys on the list think. This is my first new handgun in 20 years, so I want it, and me, to get off to a good start.

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Just a few months ago, I bought a new pistol, the brand does not matter. If I hadn't broke it down before firing, metal filings that got by QC inspectors would most certainly have caused further damage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with the above post. My Micro came dry as a bone. I field stripped it, cleaned it, and worked it over with some FP-10. My feeling it is always good to clean and oil a new pistol.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lube & Clean

Yes you definitely need to clean and lube it. It is the best way to help the gun break in correctly. I have received new guns that were bone dry,and others that were drooling oil,its good to take a look inside and see what you have.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Absolutely! She's yours now. All yours! Take her apart, look at her, clean her, lube her, and when you go to the range you'll know she meets your standards.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I definitely would do a strip clean and oil. I picked up my Loaded last week and it came in a quart of oil and a plastic bag. I had to clean it at the store just to inspect it before I took her home.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I could!

VF 40, I wish I could do just that! I'll bet you don't live in CA. Truth is, I don't know too many gun owners. I don't hunt, and when my familiarity with firearms and opposition to the more ridiculous forms of gun control comes up, my liberal friends react as though I'd passed gas in the house of worship. So you guys, and Jeff Taverner at the Gun Shop, are all I've got! Thanks for the advice; I'll let you know how it goes today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts