1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 5" Ed Brown Special Forces returned after getting the trigger fixed (hammer started falling to half cock after pulling the trigger). I had previously asked them to help reduce the creep on the trigger and I guess they took too much off the sear, thus leading to the issue. Ed Brown added more sear contact as a remedy. Anyways, they charged nothing and test fired to ensure function.

After I got it back, I shot about 100 rounds of FMJ ammo. I noticed after that the disconnector would stick downwards when racking the slide by hand (which means trigger pull wouldn't drop the hammer). I had to either repull the trigger or wiggle the trigger a bit before the disconnector would click. No issue when I was shooting earlier though.

I realized the disconnector area was pretty dry. I dropped some Froglube on the disco and the issue went away. I wonder if this was happening because they might have applied their own synthetic lube, cancelling out the previously applied Froglube and leaving the disconnector dry? They certainly lubed up the slide/rails and main contact points with their synthetic stuff. It doesn't appear there's any gunk in the channel.

Is it critical to lube the disconnector? I have noticed the trigger feeling smoother as I dry fire it some more, I wonder if that has an effect on the disconnector.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
If you remove the slide, you should be able to push the disc down and it should spring back up. There should be a little tension on it from the middle sear spring leaf. It should also move freely. If it sticks or doesn't move easily I would first detail clean the gun. I put a drop of oil on my disc. I don't want too much oil on it or it will attract debree quickly.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
You have an issue with the sear spring or disco or both.

Send the gun to a competent 1911 smith. Obviously not Ed Brown.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
All moving parts require lube. The disco's head gets a drop every time I clean the pistol. It needs to be able to travel back and forth and up and down. It's a pretty nifty little design that does it's magic between the trigger, sear, sear pin, sear spring and frame so it's a busy little bugger. Learn to love your disconnector and give it some lube.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Any contact surface that moves against another part or that another part moves against is usually lubricated to reduce friction. Advice from Broadus123 is correct. The surfaces of the disconnector that contact the trigger and that are contacted by the sear spring should be smooth. The sear spring should be smoothed as well where it touches the disconnector. Get a Colt sear spring and sheet of 600 grit waterproof sandpaper and polish those surfaces. Lubricate them lightly. I have to add this caveat; I am no fan of specialty lubes for guns that are not used in extreme service. Ed's Red is my preference as a CLP so I don't get the Frog Lube cancelling properties of synthetic oil. If the steps I have given you don't work, try to find a gunsmith better than Ed Brown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts