1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, new at the forum, recently purchased a sa 1911a1 over kimber because i seen to many people come in to the local store complaing about kimber not feeding hollow points and some also about jams can anyone tell me about how there kimbers work.... thankyou.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have both a Custom II and a Compact Stainless II and they both will shoot hollowpoints and everything else I've fed them without jamming.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yep mines perfect as well....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for responding...... even out of the box no problems with jams ?????...... what kind of magazines do you guys use????>>>>>>>>>>

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
There seems to be a huge difference in reliability between models. Your chances of perfection increase with barrel length. Many problems can be traced back to inexperienced shooters also. All my Kimbers are early versions, but I've never had one malfunction in any of them.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think most people are happy with their Kimbers. If not they would have gotten rid of them and left the forum.

There seems to be an issue with some of the Kimber mags that come with the pistols being junk.

There seems to be a rotten apple or two with every brand. I have owned all kinds of pistols and their are people that love and hate each one.

Before I bought a Kimber I checked into this forum and others and came up with Kimber is a great value for the money. There are definitely more expensive and high quality pistols out there. With my budget and shooting habits the Kimber was a perfect fit for me.

I got mine used (800 rounds or so. Two new mags a recoil spring recommended by shooters here and I have a great pistol. BTW it shot great before I replaced the spring just wanted to protect the gun since I have no way of knowing for sure the number of rounds shot.

plunker

·
Registered
550 Posts
with only a couple thousand rounds through my 1911's no mag problems. i also bought chip mc cormick mags. a 10 and a 8. i really like my mc cormick mags. way better over stock and i can take them apart.. this is a degree where i think kimber is sorta chinsey. and the mim parts if that bothers you.....:biglaugh:

i'd also down the road want to try wilson mags. seems people live and die by those mags!! but $20-30 a mag is sorta pricey.. but proabley with it though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My Kimber has no problems feeding anything. It came with an 8rd Mec Gar from the factory. I've also used 7rd Metalforms with the round follower to feed it.

To be honest I've never seen a 1911 had a problem feeding. Or at least one that was the guns fault. Saw a Springfield with an extraction problem because the breachface was machined way out of tolerance, but it still fed! :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
i work at a indoor shooting range in washington state and we rent out a lot of kimbers and springfields and they rarely jam at all. the kimbers get taken out more than the springfields and dont get cleaned that much either.
i cleaned a kimber gold match series II and hat day after i cleaned it, it wsa probably shot over a thousand rounds with no jams.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I shoot a Kimber Eclipse Pro II, with Wilson 8 round mags, I have never had any problems with it at all, I shoot factory, as well as my reloads, 200 gr LSWC, 230 LRN & JHP. Has been a great gun.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a Custom II target.
It had the features I was looking for including a good reputation.
It was excellent out of the box. I changed out several parts to get a better trigger and improved the accuracy.
It turned out much better than I hoped.

It's been said here many times that you're more likely to hear from the people who had problems with their Kimber.

I would buy another Kimber and I have read a lot of good things about the New Rollmark Colts and would like to try one of those.

Anyone can get a lemon and the hassels that go along.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My Kimber Custom Series I works perfect. 20,000+ rounds through it. FLAWLESS!!! Fire the first time every time. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
KIMBERS 2003 catalog says, All pistols in the Ultra Carry family have ramped match grade barrels for absolute reliability.
I had a CDP which has an aluminum frame, it would jam at times with hollow points only. I had an Eclipse with SS frame, no jams at all. As soon as I heard about the 2003 upgrades I sold both. The new ramped barrels took care of the jam problems with the Ultra Carry Family.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've only had two problems with my Stainless Pro Carry II. One was a poorly fitted or poorly manufactured slide stop and the other was....umm....ahem......my fault.

The first problem was solved with the installation of a Wilson Combat extended slide stop, and the second problem was solved by removing the Wilson Shok-buff that was causing my slide to "short-stroke" and not feed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Gold Match SS is 7 months old with 3000 + rounds and have not had a single jam yet. It shoots either Win FMJ or Hornady XTP HP handloads without a problem. Either the factory supplied or purchased Mccormick mags work equally well. (I just knocked on my desk)

So far I'm happy.

Dog

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm an armorer/firearms instructor for a police dept. that issues about 140 Kimber ProCarry II's. Aside from some initial problems with a few of the ambi safeties (a problem with the design of the safety in conjunction with rubber grips- easily and quickly fixed at Kimber's expense and nothing to do with the design or quality of the gun itself), all of our guns have functioned flawlessly for the past 2 years. We issue Wilson #47 magazines, but other than that, the guns are box-stock. The few malfunctions I've seen have been a result of limp-wristing or some other shooter-induced error. I've never seen a Kimber have problems with feeding hollowpoints or anything else.

FWIW, LAPD SWAT seems to be happy with their Kimbers, too.

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
Some guys just can't stand that extra inch! :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
How new is your gun? We had that kind of problem and our solution to that was that you have to break it in. we read in the manual that you actually have to shoot around 500 rounds through it and then it won't jam anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts