1911Forum banner

Lugless mayhem????

37K views 266 replies 51 participants last post by  CWarner 
#1 ·
Having three and 1/2 gunsmiths around here leads to a lot of interesting discussions.
Recently, while going over barrel fitting, we had quite the discussion on the various techniques employed. I have had a theory for quite some time, given modern materials and components, that maybe their was room for simplification.....

Given that we have a few setting around, the lugs mostly disappeared off of this one. Since that much material was removed, special 1911forum heat treating was necessary.......

...OK, Joking about the heat treating, but the barrel is real.
Next was finding an old clunker of a shop gun to put it in.....

That one will probably fill the bill....
This might be fun.....I'll leave it at this for now, let you guys share your thoughts
....more to come.

CW

See less See more
#17 ·
Daniel,
That part will be later in the thread....lol. The loaded round idea I like, but a new slide would be another 2-3 year nightmare, though I could go to the farther lug....
That's roughly what Dan Coonan did to open the ejection port far enough to clear a .357 Magnum round.

Of course, trimming a barrel back one lug was the old school method for clearing the bushing skirt in a Bobcat .45 in the pre-Detonics/Colt OACP era. Even Rock Island Arsenal did that when building the M15 General Officers Pistol from issue M1911A1.

#25 ·
I have a couple of two-lug guns, shortened in the Bobcat manner mentioned by Daniel.
There is an OACP in town with a straight barrel and the big Colt bushing sleeved down to fit. I don't know how many lugs it has left, but the little sucker is amazingly accurate, limited by the sight radius, not the gun fit.

#29 ·
MAYHEM was my call sign and still a nick I use. Sooo.... Are you building this for me? :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.