1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, while checking various firearms out in my safe, I pulled out my Wilson Combat CQB. I have not been carrying it lately, because during deer season, I usually rotate it "out" and my 1911 10mm "in". Well, I notice that I had not really given it a good cleaning in quite awhile. Sooooo...

I pulled it down totally and checked it out. Now this pistol has been around the block.....I had this gun for over 3 years[nearly 4]. Its been my CCW/Car/farm/loaner/match/training 1911[is there anything else ] for all that time. There is no decernable mechanical wear. Slide fit is still awesome, the barrel fit is as tight as the day I got it, and the trigger pull is still AWESOME. This pistol is as well put together as any full house 1911 custom piece as I have owned. When I ordered this blaster from Arkansas, I spec'd tool steel hammer and sear, Bullet Proof extractor, and Bullet Proof slide stop.

Last year I sent the slide to Richard Heinie for new sights. I liked the fixed WILSON sights that came on it, but I LOVE Heinie's sights. He knocked out the WILSON's, and fitted his sights into the existing dovetails. This made a good gun even better. I have also fitted a set of the excellent GUNNER GRIPS from my now departed friend Rob Simonich. These slabs are as tough as the pistol they are bolted to and give great traction!

Other than these changes, the only thing I have done is changed recoil spring, firing pin spring, and Shok Buff every 1000 or so rounds. I can't remember how many thousand, but a few.

Some folks have complained about the finish that WILSON's uses.....called Armor Tuf. AT is basically a baked on polymer "paint" that has lubricant in it. Very similar to Birdsong's Black T. I have had pistols with both finishes now, and I find Black T slightly slicker, and AT slightly hardered. But still, very similar. Now, I'm hard on a guns finish. I live in the south, and if you use a firearm, especially a pistol, you sweat on it. Sweat rusts guns. I've rusted stainless handguns and knives while wearing/using them. I've also rusted through hardchrome and E nickel.

I have not rusted through Armor Tuf yet.

Yes, its showing some wear, but considering what the gun has been through, not alot. If this would have been a blued 1911, it would be in VERY sad shape. It would not have %50 finish left....it would certainly be pitted around the grip frame.

Not bragging just experience.

I took some pics that I will post with this......I was thinking about sending the gun into WILSON's for them to refinish[which I believe they would do for FREE], but this CQB is just getting broken in good, like a pair of jeans. Its looking fine to me....so I think I'll just keep feedin' it. If it looked like new, somebody might try to buy it;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
another pic

wear around the trigger....
Hear is a pic showing wear around the trigger/safety area....

notice that the trigger is showing the most Armor Tuf wear. Its my experience that AT wears off on Aluminium MUCH faster than steel. I wish they would just not coat the triggers.....

Also, notice that the rear sight, that Heinie put on about a year ago, has lost most of its blued finish.....much faster wear than the AT'd pistol. Yes, the AT "wears", but NO PLACE on the gun has the finish chipped.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=667638

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Conclusion

In conclusion.....
Well,
I'm not even sure why I posted this....I guess I just am amazed every time I look inside this pistol at the fine job done by the folks that made it. WILSON's aren't the cheapest of the "limited production/entry level custom" pistols out there, but one thing is for sure.....they were made to use. This pistol will but the entire magazine of 230 XTP's touching each other from a good rest @ 25 yards[did it last week .......wish I were capable more often!] . Keep the springs[especially in the 8 round mags!] fresh, and it will run without a hitch for a thousand rounds[thats the most I've gone without cleaning it].

I've had some of this guns competitors.....and I've sold them. I've kept this one. If you have been thinking about getting a WILSON CQB, I believe you will not be displeased with your purhcase no matter what the price.

I've got another WILSON on order now.......

:cool:

·
Registered
841 Posts
ahhhhhhhhhhh, a nicely used CQB! Lots of folk would cringe at the sight of the finish being worn but when I look at it I can tell its a tired and true 1911. You must have used that CQB a lot! Even mine doesn't really show much wear yet. The trig shows wear like yours but nothing really on the slide yet. maybe a *little* bit towards the muzzle from holster draws.

I agree with everything you have said about the CQB. Its a great piece of 1911 work. Wilson knows how to build 'em!

Be safe!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The FREE re-finish is a Fairy Tail/ Urban Myth. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I must say, if that pistol has been used hard like you describe, I think it looks great ..... it has character!

One comment- I have a pistol coated with Black-T. It's seen some good use for about a year and a half, and the finish still looks pretty good. The wear on my gun is similar to yours, with the exception of the trigger. I show a lot less finish wear on the trigger, but that could certainly be the result of how the trigger was fitted. Like you, I have found the polymer type finishes to be about the best in terms of corrosion resistance.

That's a great pistol you have, and perhaps I might need a Wilson too.

Happy Shootin'!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Free Armor-Tuff Offer....

Will Fennell:
Got an offer for a FREE Armor-Tuff Refinish from Wilson Combat in the mail yesterday (1 firearm only, and you pay related shipping costs). I would like you to utilize it for your CQB as your original post truly exemplifies the pride of ownership of a Wilson Combat pistol. Please contact me for details (click my profile button below)…and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry to but-in guys but I have a quick question here:

If I'm having my pistol refinished by wilson and also having new sights installed. Is it a good idea to have wilson install them after they refinish the pistol?

I mean if I have them installed now, does wilson take sights off as part of the refinish job? Plus, if they take them off I may lose some of the tight fitting of the sights?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
SOCOMguy:
Yes...it is best not to install the new sights until after the new Armor-Tuff finish is applied (because they will have to take them off anyway as the amount of heat necessary to apply the Armor-Tuff finish could damage the tritium inserts).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Will, that was a great post. Just how I feel about my CQB. Yours looks even more worn than mine. The more worn my gun gets the more I love it. I can't even think about a refinish job. I just love the silver metal showing through. Call me crazy but a well worn gun is just beautiful.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
SOCOMguy said:
Sorry to but-in guys but I have a quick question here:

If I'm having my pistol refinished by wilson and also having new sights installed. Is it a good idea to have wilson install them after they refinish the pistol?

I mean if I have them installed now, does wilson take sights off as part of the refinish job? Plus, if they take them off I may lose some of the tight fitting of the sights?
Install first then refinish. Finish is the last thing you do. They need to make the sight cuts and then finish over them. If they finish and then make the cuts, they need to refinish the cuts (unless cold blue works for you). I would imagine that if you sent it in for sights and finish at the same time, they would know what to do. They will make the cuts (and install the sights to verify fit I assume) then take the sights off to finish. Then they will put the sights back on.

If you are gonna do it piece meal, do the sights first and then refinish when you get the bucks. Of course, you could almost pay for a refinish with the double shipping you will have if you do it at two different times.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I hear quite a few people complain about Wilson's Armor-Tuff finish, saying it shows wear quickly or that it's just paint that covers up a less than perfect finish on the metal itself. While the first might be true, the second is not. Some think Wilson uses it because it's cheap. That's not the case either. There is quite a bit of prep work involved with applying the AT finish, and the process costs almost as much as hard chrome to apply.
The reality is, Armor-Tuff (and other similar finishes like Black-T) are no nonsense finishes that probably work better than anything else at protecting the weapon from corrosion and that's why Wilson uses it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: Free Armor-Tuff Offer....

KB said:
Will Fennell:
Got an offer for a FREE Armor-Tuff Refinish from Wilson Combat in the mail yesterday (1 firearm only, and you pay related shipping costs). I would like you to utilize it for your CQB as your original post truly exemplifies the pride of ownership of a Wilson Combat pistol. Please contact me for details (click my profile button below)…and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!
WOW! Outstanding service!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ive heard some people complain about the Armor-Tuff finish.

My gun is over 3 years old, has been shot extensively and carried at least 10hrs a day, either in an open holster or concealed. Im quite pleased with the level of wear, especially compared to bluing or parkerizing, both of which my acidic skin wears away quickly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts