1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found time to put another 100 or so rounds through this gun yesterday. I am still impressed with the overall performance of this piece, which is less than a year old.

I usually shoot 230-grain FMJ with 5.6 grains of Win231, which is what I shot yesterday. I used my standard mix of 4 or 5 different brands of magazines, including Mec-Gar, factory Colt, factory SA (Metalform?), one no-name brand, and CMC Shooting Star. I even loaded up 8 rounds several times, to see if this would cause any problems.

I had no malfs of any sort. The gun shot about an inch low at 15 yards, but into one ragged hole and the windage was perfect. The slide stayed open after the last shot every time. All spent brass went into one area, about 6 feet to my right. No brass hit me in the face, as is sometimes the case with other pistols (Ruger 97 and SIG 239, e.g.).

Despite its light weight (only 30 oz. empty with the aluminum alloy frame), this gun does not seem to recoil any worse than my all-stainless Loaded model (which I didn't bring with me this time).

So far about 400 rounds through the Bi-Tone, with no malfs at all. The ramped barrel will feed JHPs just as reliably as ball. I haven't tried hollowpoints in the all-stainless pistol yet; it has the traditional throated barrel, which has been totally reliable with ball ammo so far.

I also put a few reloads through my SIG239 (.357SIG). This little gun is what I usually carry as CCW, and it's just great. It's really a hoot to shoot this gun with some Power Pistol loads. You can even see the muzzle flash in daylight, and the boom sounds like a Concord just flew over your head.

Regards,

Dr. Lecter

·
Registered
121 Posts
My experiences with my new Lightweight Loaded are similar. It's an absolutely fantastic gun, accurate and easy to carry. So far, I have not been able to make the gun choke. It runs 100% with all kinds of magazines, and it has fed everything I've given it. It even eats the 200-grain SWC loads that are notorious for hanging up in 1911s.

I can't say enough good things about that gun. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same here for mine

With one exception, I took it out to the range after cleaning it before I shot it, so that I could look over the innerd's a lil first. Put her back together, checked everything fer fit and tightness, good to go. Shot 500 rounds of ball ammo and upon making safe and putting everything up I noticed that one grip bushing on each side had stripped, I thought hell I knew I should have put some light duty locktight on them when I had it apart, but failed to do so. Now I have to go thru the process of fixing it, not that its a big deal but I knew better.

Mine also shot like a dream all day long. I noticed that where the safteys ride on the frame that they are rubbing the finish off from being used, not that I care much, cuz Im gonna shoot the hell out it till I break something thats hard to fix or is expeinsive then I'll send it back to them fer a fix up job.

Shoot it like its free!

Todd, out

·
Registered
312 Posts
IraT,

I think it's an aluminum thing. I bought a full size lightweight loaded last year. After my first range session of 500 rounds without out one ftf. When I removed the grip panels two of my grip bushings backed out also. The threads in the frame were stripped so Springfield payed for shipping and installed 2 oversized bushings. When it came home I took all four out and put a dab of loctite on each, I haven't had a problem since.
I had Dave Berryhill do a reliability package, 4lb trigger job, install match bushing and recrown the barrel. This gun now shoots sub 2" groups and is my daily carry pistol. :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine has been problem free and shoots great.

My only complaint...the aluminum frame is the easiest to scratch of any firearm I've had, but it's a "working" gun, so I'm not that concerned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts