1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to this forum and need some help. Just bought a LW champion operator and I am having trouble with ejecting/clearing nonfired rounds. I haven't fired it yet, just broke it down and cleaned it. I loaded it and then tried to eject the unfired round and the front of the bullet gets caught between the barrel and the slide. I tried this w/ three different types of bullets JHP and RN FMJ, same thing with all of them. So I wouldn't think this is normal, but I cannot see how this would be fixed. I am kind of bummed out, since I have heard such great things about SA. Any ideas???

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Can you take a picture of the ejector on this gun? If you have a digital camera, take the slide/barrel off the fram and take a picture of the top of the frame, at the back.

I'd take it out and shoot it before doing anything, but if you can show us what the ejector looks like we might suggest that it looks too long? You have to be careful though since the shorter barreled guns need to start kicking the empty case out ASAP.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I don't have a Champion and am trying to visualize what you are describing. Don't forget that when shooting the gun, the bullet will be long gone and just the brass will eject. If you say the tip of the bullet is what is "catching", I would think it would be fine when actually cycling from firing. Good luck.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Not sure but my experience may help.

I had bought a slightly used loaded model and when I manually cycled the action to eject the round many time it just had to be shaken out. When i really pulled it back hard and fast it ejected.

I pulled the extractor and cleaned(had a lot of carbon buildup) it, reassembled and when i took it to the range I had zero malfunction though still to this day when I manually operate the slide its still not very vigorouse when ejecting and sometime it hangs up slightly

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this is the best picture that I could get, I apoligize but I am not much of a photographer. I placed the magazine in so that you could see how far the extractor was sticking out. So glocker1911, I am pretty sure that it would cycle with a spent shell, but if for some reason I had to cycle a round that hadn't gone off, a bad primer for instance then I would have to drop the mag and push the slide back to get the offending round out. Now I realize that I probably will never have to do this in a "situation" but the point is I bought this for a ccw and it is brand new. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I shouldn't have to think about it this much. I appreciate all of your guys help. I am thinking of calling the SA people tomorrow and see what they suggest. Since it is brand new, I don't want to shoot it before sending it back. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think hand cycling is going to tell you much. Your going to have to shoot it. The massive force of the ejector striking the cartridge cannot really be duplicated. Nothing is going to void your warranty finding out if it shoots fine. And you can hardly determine if you have a problem without shooting it. Before you call SA I would shoot it and see. You might be fine. The only other thing I would do is actually pull the Extractor out and examine it.

This is what I found on my brand new SA's extractor. Note the bend in the forward leg? Not normal at all from what I am told... but yet the tension seems to work and it does now shoot fine. Not sure why! But shooting it made me go looking. At this point it now shoots flawlessly, so far. I don't know what I am going to do about this extractor yet, but one things for certain, I do not want to replace it with another just like it. And if I send it back to SA this is likely to be the case. So I will discuss this with SA Monday and go from there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the same model pistol that does/did the same exact thing. It would eject a fired cartridge without a single problem but, if I tried to unload the pistol and hand eject the bullet in the chamber it would jam. EVERY time! If you pulled the slide with more force it would simply jam tighter. It looked like it was trying to eject too early. On its way out it hits the edge of the slide and just under the loaded chamber indicator and the slide is not all the way back but, you can't pull it any more cause now the bullet is jamming the slide.

It simply would not hand cycle a single round. This concerned me a bit since I was planning to carry the pistol and if I ever had any type of failure or malfunction and needed to clear the round I'd be screwed trying to drop the mag and work the slide around until the bullet fell out.

I just sent it back to Springfield last week to get some custom cosmetic work done to it and asked that they look at this problem while it was there. I don't have the pistol back yet but, I do have a reply from them stating that they "modifed the ejector to the proper length". My guess is this is all you need.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
While the ejector looks slightly long I think I would do a range session first. At the range session, assess how the ejection is working. Do the empty cases get thrown clear of the gun? Also, try clearing the weapon by removing the magazine and then pulling the slide back to eject the loaded round. The round may fall out the magazine chute as opposed to getting kicked out the ejection port, but that should be okay. If, when you pull the slide back it just stops due to the loaded cartridge getting bound up then you may need to shorted the ejector a bit. Don't repeatedly load and eject the same loaded cartridge to avoid the bullet getting set back.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am calling Springfield today, judging from mag monger's experience, I think that the ejector needs to be shortened. That way the slide and the actual bullet will be able to be ejected. I have no doubt that it will shoot, but again it goes back to if there is a failure to fire, I am screwed trying to eject it. thanks for everybody's help.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
While my pistol never failed to eject spent cases I had occasional problems with loaded cases during training drills.

Simple front corner slide modification was the solution, rather than shortening the ejector.

Short barrelled pistols usually benefit from this and there are no negatives I'm aware of.

Yes, that's wear on the slide! She may be pretty, but she's still a tool that gets carried.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
874 Posts
Chuck S said:
Yes, that's wear on the slide! She may be pretty, but she's still a tool that gets carried.

-- Chuck
Oh teh noes!!!11! You use your gun, like as a tool and stuff, oh not my babies they stay right in the safe where they are kept looking factory new:dope:

LoL Yeah I use mine too. I posted a pic of my USP which is carried a lot at HKPro and was amazed how many had safequeens where mine looked used

Same for my 1911, already has wear on the back of the rear sight and the edges around the muzzle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting...my brand new LW Champion Operator does this exact same thing...refuses to cleanly eject an unfired round, FMJ or JHP, doesn't matter....kind of frustrating :mad:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Consider that you might be cycling the slide to slowly - the faster the slide cycles, the farther the shell gets thrown and the more likely it is to clear the action. Try racking the slide a little more quickly - or just wait and shoot the thing because cycling live ammunition is a little dangerous.:dope:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have three SA 1911's and just purchased the last one, a SA LW Champion Operator (like yours) two weeks ago. Field stripped it like you prior to shooting and had the identical problem with the ejector hand cycling rounds. Took it to the range a week later and shot 100 rounds of assorted .230 grain FMJ without any issues. I would suggest that you test fire before you call SA. (This is the only SA 1911 that I own that I've experienced the issue with.)

EAJ

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
CCOOK said:
Consider that you might be cycling the slide to slowly - the faster the slide cycles, the farther the shell gets thrown and the more likely it is to clear the action. Try racking the slide a little more quickly - or just wait and shoot the thing because cycling live ammunition is a little dangerous.:dope:
I would not rack a gun, that is having ejection problems, harder or faster as a means of trying to clear it. If the case somehow gets cocked in the port, out of control of the extractor, as you are vigorously racking the slide, the primer can be driven into the tip of the ejector, causing the round to go off in the port. That's why it's best to just eject live rounds onto the ground, and pick them up later, rather than cover the port so as to catch the ejected rounds. It's one of those things that's been done forever, and taught in the military, but I know a guy who's had two rounds go off that way, and there's no good reason for it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's not just the Operator's. My Champion GI did the same same but firing live rounds, it cycled like a dream.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Not sure what you are getting at.

You say you have not fired it yet. Well..go shoot it.

I just took my brand new Champion LW Operator out of the box and ran ball and HP thru it without a hitch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts