1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pre70 LW Commander 4 carry

Hi Fellas. I have read and can't find some comments about the Pre 70 LW Commanders not being liked for a CCW pistol. And can't find the info now.
So how about some comments on this. Is it the alloy frame of the 70 or 80 series Commanders is better or what?
I know the ejection port isn't lowered like the models today, but that can be done if needed can't it?
So fill me in on this OK guys, Thanks JB

·
Administrator
76,559 Posts
1. Early Commanders (until the early 70's) had lightened slides.

2. The alloy frames of early Commanders were probably not quite as durable as new production ones, but I am not aware of any comparative destruction testing.

3. The ejection port was lowered on the early Commanders, so that's not a problem.

Me, I wouldn't hesitate to carry an early Commander. But I would also be careful not to abuse it either.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi dsk Thanks for the good news hahaha. This pre70 LW shows very little wear inside with the usual holster wear outside. I carry a steel Commander now and would continue to use it for most of the practice sessions. I was actually impressed with the fit of the bbl to slide and slide to frame fit and it cycles very smooth and postive.. It's from an estate collection of 85 guns about 45 of them 1911 models and was the fellas carry peice. So it must of had his stamp of approval on it too. And that LW is considerably lighter and just seemed to snugle into my hand so nicely.
Guess I'll start working on the price this week and see if I can't add it to my lil stable. Thanks JB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts