1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot about 125 rounds out of my new Light weight Commander today. There was no greater apparent recoil than any of my other Colt 1911's. I found it to be as accurate, if no more so than the others.

There was a problem, which I have not encountered with any of my other Colts. I was using mostly Wolf, which has never given me a problem. I used Fiocchi for some of the time.

I had no problems with ejection, but in one out of three magazines I would encounter a failure to feed. The round would end up at a 45 degree angle; I would have to bang the rear of the slide iwith my palm in order to seat the round.

This happened with the Colt 8 round magazine and two Chip McCormick 10 rounders, which have never given an problem before. Most of the failures were with the last round, in each of the magazines, but there were a few that happened within the string.

It occurred to me that the recoil spring was not strong enough, since an assist from my palm seated the round. As I said, ejection and timing was not a problem.

The gun is brand new, and after 125 rounds, broken in.

Any thoughts and advice?

HiCap

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
lock your wrist better. Light framed 45's tend to recoil a bit more, if you are holding it loosely, even a little bit then the slide may not go to it's fullest point rearward. Try shooting it some more with a purposeful looked wrist and see if it still does it. (also lube it first)

·
Registered
114 Posts
My LW XSE did exactly the same thing at about the same round count. The range gunsmith said he thought the extractor was too tight and adjusted it a bit. Truth is I haven't been back on the range to prove him out... sorry I can't do better than that. My steel Commander, on the other hand, couldn't get through more than a couple of magazines without the same kind of FTF. I fussed with it for weeks, tested, tweeked some more, and finally got rid of it. I think its a feature Colt builds into the new series. A character builder of sorts :( . I still buy Colts, but now I stick to the old (pre-improved) product. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,558 Posts
In my experience, a too-tight extractor won't let the round get close enough to chambering that hitting the back of the slide will seat the round; it's usually so low in the feed cycle, that hitting the slide just "bends" the cartridge. If it's as close to being chambered as you say, then I'd suspect an out-of-spec cartridge. I've never shot any foreign ammo in my guns, but friends' experience with Wolf has not been good.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Had exactly the same problem on an all steel 1991A1commander from the get go. I'm no gun smith but I made the following changes: new Wolff 18# recoil spring; Cyl&Sld. extractor and; Wolff 7 Rd. mags. 1500 rounds later with LRN, FMJ and JHPs, all 230 gr., only three FTFs on JHP reloads.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I now own three new Colts, a Full weight plain vanilla Commander, a Gunsite and the new LW Commander, and have never had any problems with the "heavy weights", I think the problem IS limp wristing. Wolf ammunition has not caused any problems ever in any of my 1911's, except with the LW. I hate to start tinkering, but perhaps a new Wolfe 18# recoil spring may be in order.

Boy is this LW Commander a tack driver.

HiCap

·
Registered
606 Posts
RickB said:
If it's as close to being chambered as you say, then I'd suspect an out-of-spec cartridge.
I wouldn't rule out the ammo either, w/ out trying some of known quality. This could account for the "need to bump it" thing.

Tighter chamber spec related feed problems, have forced me to re-evaluate my own hand loads in the past.

Although the new "dimpled" ramp barrels, seem to be chambered a little tighter then the older guns, I have not found the new "wonder ramp" to feed very smoothly either. This could account for the 45 degree jams.

A little ramp enhancement (heresy, I know) might be in order.

My new LWT got the following improvements to date:
1. Wilson #20 recoil, & #19 main springs
2. Wilson Bulletproof Extractor
3. S&A SS Arched MS Housing
4. Polish all slide rail surfaces that contact the alloy frame.
5. Remove all sharp edges (plenty of 'em) from slide exterior
6. Enhance barrel feed ramp
7. Fix loose rear sight blade
8. Wilson 47 series 8 rnd mags
9. Wilson "Drop In" Beavertail Grip Safety

A lot of this stuff was "pre-emptive" to enhance my personal comfort level. Carry gun thing.

As an afterthought, I noted only mediocre initial accuracy w/ 230 ball & HP. Stuff that works A++ in my Kart NM barreled Gov't Model included.

The Commander really seems to turn on w/ 185 HP's over a fast burning V V N320, though. Surprisingly good groups - but more work to do.

Hang in there. It only gets better!

LWT XSE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts