1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two more weeks and she will be mine....i can't wait. any ideas on what i should do about the grip safety? i was first thinking of swapping it for a kings or wilson, but maybe i'll just radius the edges a bit. whattya think, and pointers are always welcome.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congratulations on your new LW Commander!

Is it a Series 80 or Series 70?

I have a Colt Combat Commander, and it's my favorite semi-auto.

The only thing I have done to mine is a reliability job and a trigger job.

I fired mine approximately 1,000 rounds before having the work done.

I think that it would be a good idea to shoot your Commander for a while before you start changing things.

You may find that you like your pistol just as it is!

-Mk.IV

[This message has been edited by Mark IV Series 80 (edited 08-05-2001).]

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS. IT'S A SERIES 70. CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT. AJAX PEARL GRIPS W/ GOLD COLT MEDALLION...ONE PRETTY GUN. NICE POLISHED SLIDE. TRIGGER FELT PRETTY GOOD, SO DID EVERYTHING ELSE. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN...I'D KINDA HATE TO MESS WITH IT. SEE YA AROUND.

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
Regarding the grip safety-

Either buy a recent Colt unit, or else take a regular GI or Colt Gov't grip safety and cut a relief notch for the hammer. That way you won't have hammer bite and you won't have altered the frame either.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ditto dsk's statement on altering a GM grip saftey. I have kinda large hands and found that when I grabbed the weapon in a hurry, it would bite me. I took a GM saftey, ground a notch for the Commander hammer, didn't have to alter the frame, and now it won't bite! You'll need a Dremel tool and a good stone,as those saftey's are HARD!. Most people won't notice the difference in looks
Montana

1 - 5 of 5 Posts