1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. So I've been looking at powder measures and since I have gotten the Lyman turret press, I am considering the Lyman 55. I already have Lee die sets which include the powder through expander die. My question is this: if I buy the Lyman and the coupler/adapter so that the Lee die accepts the Lyman measure, does it work similar to the Lee auto disk measure? The auto disk dispenses the powder charge as the case is flared, doesn't make sense that it would.

This is something new that I had not considered before. If it does not dispense the powder at the same time as flaring, is there any advantage to having the measure connected to the die?

I have not ordered anything yet and have found a heck of a deal on a RCBS Uniflow, but if I am understanding properly, it comes with the large drum which is not compatible with the pistol loads I will be using. Once the second drum is factored in the deal is not as sweet. Any thoughts?

I've looked and looked at several different sites and read several similar threads on powder measures and expander dies, but couldn't find my answer. Sorry if it was missed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I don't know how the Lyman dispenser works, but the Lee Pro Auto Disk screws on to the powder-through expanding die. When the case is pushed up into the die to be expanded it also pushes on and activates a mechanical cylinder causing the auto disk measure to slide the disk over the drop hole and down into the case.

Perhaps my rambling makes sense and can help you figure out if the die can activate the Lyman measure.

FWIW the Lee Pro Auto Disk works really well. The only measure I like better is the Hornady.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, and now I'm interested in the Lee auto disc. Seems like reviews are favorable and I'm all for saving money. How long have you had yours? Plastic and longevity is ways concerning.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hmmm, and now I'm interested in the Lee auto disc. Seems like reviews are favorable and I'm all for saving money. How long have you had yours? Plastic and longevity is ways concerning.

Two things.

I can't speak for longevity of the Lee Pro Auto Disk, because I haven't had it that long. That little bugger is consistent and does its job, though. You can't pick your exact charge, because your limited to what holes you have available to you. If you did find your between holes, though, you can always open up a smaller hole to meet the desired charge. Make sure you mark it, though.

I also looked at putting a different measure on the Lee expander. You can buy linkage that will activate the measure when the case is raised into the die. I was actually looking at the Hornady set up. After I spent time with the Lee Disk setup, I decided that it was all I needed (I'm not looking for uber-accuracy, just plinking loads.) No doubt that the other measures might be better, but the Lee worked for me.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Man, I'm not even really sure...a long time. Thousands and thousands of rounds loaded with it now, rifle and pistol.

Maybe somebody can chime in that has had a failure? To me it seems as though it will probably last me many, many more years.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Two things.

You can't pick your exact charge, because your limited to what holes you have available to you. If you did find your between holes, though, you can always open up a smaller hole to meet the desired charge. Make sure you mark it, though.
In addition to buying extra disks and drilling out your own holes, you can also order the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar to be used in place of the disks. The charge bar has a thumb screw on the edge that lets you dial in any charge. The charge bar does not like small charges of flake powders though.

I use the charge bar in some cases, but 95% of the time the disks measure out what I want. Lee has done a pretty dang good job of the volumetric increments in the disks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
In addition to buying extra disks and drilling out your own holes, you can also order the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar to be used in place of the disks. The charge bar has a thumb screw on the edge that lets you dial in any charge. The charge bar does not like small charges of flake powders though.

I use the charge bar in some cases, but 95% of the time the disks measure out what I want. Lee has done a pretty dang good job of the volumetric increments in the disks.

Yeah, I thought about getting the adjustable one, but I figure if I'm going to have to "modify" it to throw the smaller charges, I might as well modify the disks.

I did buy the micro disk for .380, and it works just as well as the regular disks for the powders I use.

And, yeah, I agree that the disks are pretty darn good as is.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah, I thought about getting the adjustable one, but I figure if I'm going to have to "modify" it to throw the smaller charges, I might as well modify the disks.

I did buy the micro disk for .380, and it works just as well as the regular disks for the powders I use.
Ya, the charge bar does not shine with the real small loads. I didn't even know about the micro disk, I'll have to check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
The Lyman 55 will not automatically drop powder when you expand the case. It is an excellent powder measure, but you will have to cycle the handle manually to drop the powder. Unless they have changed them, it is also a little more difficult to set you charge since it only has vernier markings and you must check the charge with a beam or electronic scale.

Once set though it is extremely accurate from charge to charge. I've had one since 1975, don't use it much anymore, but if I do it is right on once set.

Bill

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I don't think the Lee powder die will work with the 55. But a quick search shows that Lyman has their own powder through die for the 55. This however is not a case activated system. It does flare case. And is a powder through die. But powder drop is still done by pressing lever by hand. Just Google or go to Lyman site. Good luck. **this according to other loaders on the net:) I did not confirm this with Lyman. Take that for what it's worth.

PS, the Lee powder measures work. Are they as good as some others? Certainly not. But like all Lee products, at a fraction of the cost. And the plastic parts in the powder measures last a surprisingly long time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I have two of the 55 powder measures, one for rifle & one for pistol use on my Lyman turret press.

Yes, it is a manual measure. You will have to rotate the lever with the press ram UP, to charge each case.

I have and use the Lyman Multi-expander die.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/748976/lyman-multi-expander-and-powder-charge-die

You will also need one of these adapters:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176245/lyman-7-8-14-thread-adapter-for-310-dies-and-model-55-powder-measure

Once the measure is mounted in your turret, the expander can be changed by loosening an allen screw for other calibers without moving the powder measure to another die set.

The original measure came with the Lyman kit that I bought, the second one was much older from ebay - both are very accurate and I tend to use mostly ball powders.

It's actually the only powder measures that I've used, but I am happy with their operation & accuracy.

Regards,
Fritz.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You can do all kinds of things to adapt another powder measure to the LCT. But it would probably not work automatically as the PAD does. The Lee die does not just drop powder, it also expands the case and puts as little or much flare in the case mouth as you want.
However, there is nothing that will be as easy or consistent as the Pro Auto Disk. There is really nothing to wear out. If it did and you had to purchase another in your lifetime, the total would still be less than another brand of measure.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
An RCBS Uniflow with the Case Activated Linkage works fine on a Lee Classic Turret and will expand and powder charge the case in the same station. I have one of these setups for each of the three calibers I load.

This same setup will work for the OP on his Lyman Turret Press and, with a micrometer adjuster added to a small drum for loading pistol calibers, will be much more adaptable to various powders and mimimal adjustments in powder charges than the Lee Pro Auto Disk. I started with the Lee and didn't like the limitations presented, so switched to the setup I have now. Using the Uniflow setup, you don't have to settle for the charge you get with the preset discs provided by Lee and you can dial in a charge to the 0.1 gr. The RCBS setup is more expensive than the Lee, for sure, but it was the best solution for me.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
... you don't have to settle for the charge you get with the preset discs provided by Lee and you can dial in a charge to the 0.1 gr.
Out of curiosity, did you try the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar? At $6.50, I buy several and set them to specific loads, so changing loads is just swapping pre-set charge bars.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yes, I tried that too and it didn't work either. I'm happy with the setups I have settled on. I know the Lee products work for plenty of reloaders, I just couldn't get the Pro Auto Disk to work for me and found a solution I am confident in using.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts