1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Dad and I went shooting yesterday and we shot his carbine for the first time in a while. It was shooting about a foot high and keyholing every shot at 50 yards with sights as low as they'd go. Today it occured to me that he used to shoot a lot of surplus corrosive ammo out of it w/ out cleaning, and the rifling looks pretty bad. So these are my questions:

1. bad rifling would cause the keyholing right? And corrosive ammo would cause bad rifling right?
2.How much would it cost to rebarrel? (this gun has sentimental value so he does not just want to replace it)
3. Is there anything else that could cause this?

Any other advice is welcome (I did however explain that he needs to clean after using surplus ammo) thanks for any replies.

Jake

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Saw223 partly correct. I believe that no USGI .30 carbine was corrosive. But I got several different kinds of non-US surplus that is corrosive as hell. I went with the no .30 cal surplus is corrosive information myself and found out the hard way that the information partly wrong. Not intended as a flame of any sort. Just passing on information I learned the hard way.

Stacey

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't see that as a flame. :) I appreciate your sharing of knowlege. When he said surplus, I just assumed he meant US surplus. I had no idea others out there where corrosive, but I don't find it all that hard to believe.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Cool deal Saw223. And I was surprised as well. I got some surplus 30 carbine ammo from AIM I believe, marketed as Israeli and it was corrosive. Have since ran across Korean and Argentine since then. It s sold as surplus ammo for a reason, as long as you know the history it usually isn't bad stuff no matter the cal. BUT do the research before you buy and shoot.

Stacey

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe what he had was US surplus, if it's not corrosive any idea to why the barrel looks bad, and is keyholing shots? I just put 2 and 2 together and assumed he must have been shooting corrosive ammo. Thanks again, this is great info.

BTW this ammo was very old, not sure exactly how old though, did it used to be corrosive in the past maybe?

·
Registered
280 Posts
m-1 tale

About 25 years ago had a copy M1, not a US. Shot a lot of ammo through it, got a deal on Mexican reloads for it, I seem to remember I used to buy lots of 1000 rounds, but did buy a least one lot of more. I knew it was crappy ammo but it was the cheapest stuff you could buy. Anyway all went well until one day when I heard a funny noise and checked the rifle before pulling the trigger again, it had cracked the reciever all the way through.

Seeems the cheap reloads were not consistant at all and they must of measured the powder with a garden trowel. I am not sure maybe it was a double charge of powder, all the investigation was done post mortum. I was certainly glad I checked before I squeezed the trigger agian, cause this would have been a real nasty as the action was trashed. It was cracked in two pieces being held together by the stock. This also started a long mistrust of cast gun parts on my part.

Like I said this was a repro M1 with a cast reciever not a original, the gun is long gone as it was not cost effective to fix it. I made my mind up if that day that the next M1 I get would be a original GI, and I got a lot more picky on ammo. I replaced it with a mini 14 but had that a few years and got rid of it as I never liked the 14 as well as I did the M1 they are fun guns to shoot.

Shoot safe.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Grunt-- USGI .30 M1 carbine ammo has been non-corrosive from day one. Sounds to me like the bore got some moisture in it (being stored in a damp area or possibly summer humidity, or simply dunked in water and the bore not dryed with a patch) that caused the rust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I understand the powder not being corrosive, but I was always told that WWII era ammo had mercury primers in it that would surely foul a barrel and parts.

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
Back in the 1960's , there were tons of French surplus ammo comming in . It was packed in 50 rd boxes like our own GI folded cardboard boxes . It was the nastiest most corrosive ammo I have seen . All you had to do was load the magazine and the rust was already starting to form in the bore . ... Well almost .

I would say that he keyholing was from improper cleaning . The bore at the muzzle is probably "shot" (worn over-sized from the cleaning rod dragging without a muzzle guide) . Easy test would be to take a live round and put it bullet first into the muzzle . I would guess that it goes all the way in to the case mouth .
Just a thought .

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
damn NJ and not being allowed to own a M1 carbine...i want one soo bad u non jersyites have no clue how good u have it....:eek:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can't have one at all? what law is it that keeps you from having one? Jeez that sucks

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Grunt said:
You can't have one at all? what law is it that keeps you from having one? Jeez that sucks
they name certain guns BY NAME that cannot be owned in the Communist Republic of NJ (called that by a friend whose a cop and thinks the laws are rediculus...even if he isnt affected by them).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well here we go off topic but it's okay, since I starte the thread right?:D
So they specificly name carbines, I suppose they also name ARs, and the like too? These laws never cease to amaze me it makes me so angry I can barely think, and most of 'em don't even effect me! (yet) Stupid damn politicians.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Grunt said:
Well here we go off topic but it's okay, since I starte the thread right?:D
So they specificly name carbines, I suppose they also name ARs, and the like too? These laws never cease to amaze me it makes me so angry I can barely think, and most of 'em don't even effect me! (yet) Stupid damn politicians.
no actually ar's are allowed so are non carbine m1's

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
and i quote...in the communist republic on NJ i am not allowed to own...
Algimec AGM1 type
Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
Armalite AR-180 type
Australian Automatic Arms SAR
Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
Bushmaster Assault rifle
Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
CETME G3
Chartered Industries of Singapore
SR88 type
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2,
AR 100 types