1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going deer hunting with my boss soon in georgia.He tells me that I need a flat shooting cartridge good out to about 300 yds. He mentioned a 7mm magnum. Although I own 14 guns, none of them is suitable for this. I thought my 30-30 Model 94 would be ok, but he says no. Would a 30-06 M1 Garand be Ok? Weight is not a factor. I've been looking for an excuse to buy one.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
.30-06 is arguably the best all-around hunting cartridge, and will easily handle 300 yards. The big concern is the condition of the Garand. I've seen some real dogs for sale!

·
Registered
698 Posts
The question is, can you shoot "minute of deer" with iron sights out to 300 yards. Unless you are absolutley sure your shot is a kill shot, you probably shouldn't be making it. You can scope a Garand but it would have to use an offset setup like the old M1D sniper rifle used. To answer your question, the .30-06 is one helluva deer cartridge and 300 yards is well inside its effective range. And the Garand is plenty capable of the accuracy you need. But most people can't hit at 300 yards with iron sights and most people wouldn't scope a Garand. And I know you said weight is not a factor but the Garand is heavy as a boat anchor. So, even though I love the M1 Garand and own one myself, I'd say it is far from your best choice for deer hunting out to 300 yards. Buy one anyway though whether you use it for hunting or not. Who needs an excuse?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've been hunting with a Garand for 20yrs. Not everytime, but I take one out at least a couple of times a year. A good specimen will be plenty accurate for hunting purposes.

Just be sure to have ammo reloaded especially for the Garand since it's gas system requires powder within a fairly narrow range. Modern commercial ammo uses powder that's too slow. This will raise the port pressure to unsafe levels and possibly bend or break the op rod. Also, never try to use bullets over 180gr in an M1.

When I first started, I just pulled the bullet from M2 (USGI ammo designed for the Garand) and replaced it with a 150gr CoreLokt. Very accurate and effective.

Here are some links with M1 specific data:

Reloading for M1

Reloading for M1

Reloading for M1

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of necessity I will have to put a scope on the gun. I am not a collector, and once in my posession the gun will only be given to my son, so from a point of view based on the guns value, it doesn't bother me to modify an original. I would like my son to have the connection to an earlier era when these weapons were so valiantly used.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You sure are cutting it close aren't you by having to buy and sight in a new gun? You sure there isn't something in the safe that would work? Something like a .243 or .270 would be well suited for deer hunting as well.
Aaron.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aaron,
I have a Model 94 30-30, a Marlin lever 44 mag, a Bushie A2 223,
an AK-47, a 10-22 and a Mini -14. I dont think any of them will work. I am forced to buy a new gun, although no-one will have to force me too much. Actually, I probably need 2 guns, one for me and one for my son. He's going too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
deer hunting w m1 garand

I hunt varmints with my scoped M1A, but for deer I use my M1 garand, I shoot standard military ball ammo. Where I hunt most ,90% of your shots are 100 yds or much less, here in oregon its very brushy and not a plains state. So I really enjoy my M1, also being 6`2 250 helps, smaller guns just dont feel right, but then i carried an m60 for years also......waterbull

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why won't a 30-30 work?

Together with the '06, they probably account for about 70% of all deer taken. The 30-30 itself is not too far off of '06 ballistics, and is right there with the .308.

I just restored a .30-30 Marlin for a friend. Took it to the range, and test fired it at 50 yards. I held about 1 inch with iron sights at that range, easily.

Later, my friend got the rifle back, and after a few rounds and a good bore cleaning with Sweet's, fired a super 1/2 inch five round group at 50 yards.

So, again, why is your friend saying that the 30-30 won't work? A scoped rifle will do fine.

I love my Garand, but this is the fact of the matter--before I glass bedded it, it would group about 4-5 inches at 100 yards.

This is NOT a beginner's rifle, my friend. If you're looking for a Garand, then by all means buy one. They're super rifles.

If you want the best bang for deer season, I recommend one of the offerings from Winchester, Remington or Savage. Mount a good 4-12 on it, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I also do not understand why a 30-30 levergun wouldnt work. I guess it comes down to are you really expecting to take a 300 yard shot (I doubt it), and can you do it with that rifle.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
A 30-30 will work fine for 90% of deer hunting anywhere. You have to be a bit more selective (don't shoot past around 150 yards or so) but the vast majority of deer are taken under that. If you want to shoot at 300 yards, skip the Garand and get a bolt action '06 with a scope. It will cost less and be much easier to hit with. My $.02.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Winchester .30-30 would be a fine choice. So would the Marlin .44 Mag, but you'd need to be within about 125 yards to be effective.

Re: .30-30 vs. .308/.30-06, no contest. The .308 and '06 have WAAY more horsepower with the 150s, and the gap gets larger with heavier bullets. A 150gr .30-30 moves along at about 2200fps. A 150 gr .308 or '06 moves along at 2800-2900fps, depending upon load selected. Sorry, I know it's a little nit-picky, but...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought that the 30-30 would be fine too but my boss is flat out stubborn about it. I also questioned the ranges too but I've spoken with other guys at work who have hunted on the same lease and they tell me that it is unlikely I will see a shot under 200 yds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK then.

Not to come across as being a skeptic, but how well can these folks judge distance? I ask this because at my local range people routinely mistake the 200 yard line for 300 yards. There is a MAJOR difference (usually about 3 minutes of trajectory with an M1, assuming you have a 200 yard zero).

·
Registered
14 Posts
deer hunting

ive killed many a deer with my marlin .30-.30, sometimes a follow up shot was needed but sometimes not, the guns are smaller, great in the brush handle well and not much kick to ruin your follow up shot, mor edeer have probably been killed with them than any other gun....waterbull

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Its really hard for anyone to say since we dont know the terrain youll be hunting in. Around here you would probably be shooting across a clear cut or other artificial area to get a shot that long.

If you are positive you need to take shots that long Id consider getting one of the Savage package bolt guns. I have seen some nice tactical precision rifles setups people have based on those and this would make a good excuse to get a nice "sniper" rifle.

;)

That way if you dont end up doing longer ranged deer hunting again you can at least have a fun toy for the range or communist invasion.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Dear rick,

Rather than purchase a rifle I'd ask your boss or someone else you know if they have a rifle which you could borrow. I'm going to assume that you will be hunting in an agricultural area or somewhere else that is not very wooded since your boss is talking about 300 yard shots. I'd suggest a scoped bolt action rifle as it will be better suited to the task at hand than a Garand. As stated before the Garand will not necessarily have the accuracy to reliably make a good shot into a deer's vitals at 300 yards. Most sporting rifles in the deer sized calibers will be able to make such a shot if you do your part. The scope will also make it much easier to see and hit your target at these ranges. This will be especially true when there is little light and/or the deer is in cover which it most probably will be. All of the calibers mentioned above with the exception of the .30-30 will do the job. The 7mm cartridges, including the .270, would be the best in my opinion. Good luck on your hunt and stay safe. Gary

·
Registered
48 Posts
This year 4 out of the 5 people in my hunting camp got a deer. we had a kid with a .308 bolt gun, a cop with a 300 WSM and myself and brother with a 7mm mag. The farthest shot was 230 yards (ranged with a bushnell) with my 7mm mag. the closest shot was the cop with his 300 WSM. We hunt in the Ochoco mountains where there are areas where you can take a 600+ yard shot, or like our buddy, you can take a 30 yard shot. Its all in the terrain. I would love to get a garand and hunt with it one year. But in my situation 7mm serves me well. I have a 30-30 levergun that I would use as a bush gun if I were to get into thick undergrowth.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found out today that the stand we will be using is in a cleared area. From the stand to one edge of the clearing is 186 yds, and to the opposite edge is 212 yds. There are other areas where the longer yardages come into play. I have a friend I spoke with today who offered to let me use one of his guns for the trip. At last count he had 114 of them. I can choose from 30-06, .270, .308, 300wsm and a 7mm. I'm probably going to use a 30-06. The good thing about knowing this guy is if you're curious about a gun, just call him. He already has it, or he will run out and buy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts