1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brass is supposed to land at 1 o'clock in front of me, why does mine land behind me, and slightly to the right?
I just looked at the brass, and noticed that they are all bounciong off the windage knob...

[This message has been edited by bigbore (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,370 Posts
My father's M1 Garand throws them to the right rear. Who says it has to land at 1 o'clock?

What I wanna know is why JMB designed the 1911 to throw its brass right at my face. What, did the Cavalry want to be able to catch the brass in their teeth for reloading?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
What I wanna know is why JMB designed the 1911 to throw its brass right at my face. What, did the Cavalry want to be able to catch the brass in their teeth for reloading?
Having yet to own (or even fire) my first 1911 yet, is that true for all models?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GI-45, I've been there before, but lost my password and the "lost password" function doesn't work on that site:-(

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You might be able to post as an unregistered user; I've seen that before.

EDIT: Well, I guess registering is a requirement now. (Just tried to post as an unregistered user; it wouldn't let me.) But looks like you've gotten back in. Cool.

[This message has been edited by GI-45 (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,370 Posts
Originally posted by GI-45:
Having yet to own (or even fire) my first 1911 yet, is that true for all models?
Yup. Better get one of those football mouthpiece thingys before you fire your 1911.

Seriously, a 1911 isn't SUPPOSED to do it, but if the extractor and ejector aren't set right the case will be ejected sideways, in which case it'll bounce off the ejection port lip and into your face. It's more of a problem with the early guns before lowering and flaring the ejection port became commonplace.

·
Registered
843 Posts
DSK is right on the mark. A properly setup 1911 definitely should NOT hit you in the face with the ejected case. I think the problem is that the 1911 design has become so popular that some manufacturers are basically throwing these guns together without paying as much attention to detail as JMB intended. For example, a recently aquired Charles Daly needed considerable tuning before it functioned properly, but a Colt 1991a1 needed nothing. Not a slam against Charles Daly, just an example. Also keep in mind that the Charles Daly cost roughly $200 less than the Colt!hth-TR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts