1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am relatively new to the M1 Carbine and have some questions concerning magazines. It is my understanding that a good Carbine is pretty much utterly reliable when you stick to the 15 round U.S.G.I. mags. I have heard questionable report, however, as to the performance of the 30s. I have been told that if I want to use 30s, to definitely stick with U.S.G.I. 30s and no aftermarket. What are your opinions on this? Also where is the best source/best price on 15 round U.S.G.I. mags brand new in wrap? How about 30s? Thanks!

Edited for typo correction thanks to BillD.:D

·
Registered
27,704 Posts
Sundance said:
I am realatively new to the M1 Carbine.
Would that be anything like relatively new? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist after your two brake or break comments. One I could have resisted but not two.:cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Depending on who you ask, even some of the USGI 30 round mags are a bit iffy. You might think about having extra springs and followers on hand in case you get a bum mag, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, couldn't resist
I guess I had it coming. That's what I get for hitting submit before I proofread.
Muzzle "brake" has just got to be the most mis-spelled word on this forum.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I bought 5 USGI 30 rounders, and none of them worked. I replaced the springs and followers, and none of them worked. I've tried a couple of others, and none of them worked. I've had no problems with the 15 rounders. I wish I could find some reliable 30's but I have gotten tired of buying ones that don't work. I don't feel right selling them to someone else, when they don't function at all. For now, they sit in the closet and gather dust.

P.S. Try using a search engine, and looking up M1 carbine magazines (USGI), and hopefully you'll come up with some places that have some in stock. I purchased 28 from a member on the forum, but don't know if there are any left.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a good friend who relied on an M2 in Vietnam. He told me that the 30 rounders were no good, but the 15 rounders always worked. He carried the little carbine for 11 months, day and night, so I believe him.

I found some new-in-wrapper, Winchester made 15 rounders at the Tulsa gun show last April for $15 each.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I think William J. Ricca still has new in the wrap USGI 15 round mags. http://www.billricca.com

The problem with 30 round mags is, most of the genuine USGI mags were last made around the Korean war era. Some were made for Vietnam, but they were sent to Vietnam, not sold as surplus.

Most of the "USGI" 30 round mags are so called "govt contractor overruns".
This really means they're factory rejects, not able to pass inspection.

Real GI magazines are usually good, but the mags are all getting old, and are well used to start with.

Most of the "USGI" 30 round mags......aren't. They're "GI" from a foreign military, NOT the US military.

Most of the others are commercial made junk.

A REAL USGI 30 round mag will have a 2 or 3 letter maker's code stamped on the magazine back.
USGI mags AREN'T"T stamped"M2", that's a commercial marking.

So, if you can find a REAL USGI 30 round mag that's in good first line condition, and you have an M2 magazine catch on your carbine, they usually work well.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Usually, except for the 7 I tried. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought a 30-rounder GI for a Standard Products round-bolt I used to have. It functioned flawlessly.

That same mag in my current 1943 Winchester flat bolt carbine won't feed three in a row.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts