1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I know that this is a 1911 forum, but its the only gun forum that I follow and I figure that a lot of you gentlemen know a lot more about the M1 than I ever will. I'm looking to add one to my collection and need a short course on what to look for, what to avoid, and what to expect to pay. Could someone point me to a good reliable source for a little education?
Thanks and kindest regards,
Tom

·
Registered
565 Posts
You have a lot of research ahead of you but if you just want a good safe shooter I would try to score one off the CMP. They currently have some Service Grades, luck of the draw H&R or Springfield. 750 bucks, you won’t find such a nice one anywhere else for even close to that price. See my pics in the pic thread for reference on condition. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have lately been toying with the idea of getting a Garand myself.CMP has some great deals but not wild about the idea of having to first shoot in a match,etc.(if that's still mandatory?).Was looking at the Select Grade at Orion 7(new barrel,stock,etc.),$1999 and after taxes,shipping,FFL transfer,etc. probably in the ballpark of $2300.Don't know if I'm ready to drop that amount of cash just yet but other than CMP they do get pricey.

http://www.m1garand.com/m1-garand/m1-garand-rifle-sale/

Just noticed quite a few over at Guns International also.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/s...ch_Keyword=M1 Garand&the_order=6&start_row=51

·
Registered
565 Posts
Have lately been toying with the idea of getting a Garand myself.CMP has some great deals but not wild about the idea of having to first shoot in a match,etc.(if that's still mandatory?).Was looking at the Select Grade at Orion 7(new barrel,stock,etc.),$1999 and after taxes,shipping,FFL transfer,etc. probably in the ballpark of $2300.Don't know if I'm ready to drop that amount of cash just yet but other than CMP they do get pricey.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/s...ch_Keyword=M1 Garand&the_order=6&start_row=51
How does this outfit compare to Fulton Armory??

·
Registered
414 Posts
OK - I know that this is a 1911 forum, but its the only gun forum that I follow and I figure that a lot of you gentlemen know a lot more about the M1 than I ever will. I'm looking to add one to my collection and need a short course on what to look for, what to avoid, and what to expect to pay. Could someone point me to a good reliable source for a little education?
Tom

CMP website is www.odcmp.com. There you will find buyer requirements and what’s available for sale. If you can go to Anniston, you can pick out your Rifle and go to Talladega park, CMPs Range ,and shoot it.

There’s a guy Tom, forum name PH68, that goes to the store almost daily and gladly helps people pick out Rifles.

CMP sells Rifles returned from overseas from the MAP program....They are repaired as necessary to function and sold...Buying from Fulton or Orion 7, gets you a premium Rifle with like new USGI or USGI spec parts that are sold at a higher price point.

All depends what you’re looking for and willing to spend....The Collector Grade Garands sold out several years back and even the Correct Grades are selling @ 2k or more on the CMP auction page.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I bought mine from Fulton Armory. It had been restored, with the original 1943 receiver, but totally re-finished, and the other parts on the rifle were basically new. It looks fantastic, is an original WW2 Garand, serial number wise, but yes was completely refinished and looks like, and is, a new gun. So, the purists would be horrified, but the gun is basically new and ready for lots of shooting, and is a real, 1943 M1 Garand. I'm happy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Tom
The “book of the Garand” by Major General Julian S. Hatcher is also essential reading for any M1 owner or fan. I believe it was published in 1948. It’s an absolutely fascinating book, and is surprisingly available digitally on the iTunes book store. Whether you get a collector type M1 or a refurbished shooter, it will surely become one of the most cherished rifles in your collection. Mine certainly are.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info. guys.Would be nice to hit CMP but I'm stuck way out here in Commiefornia so will most likely have to order through a local dealer.A guy I work with got one through CMP about 10 years ago and just sold it last year to a local for $750(naturally when I wasn't looking for one).I may hit the guy up and see if he wants to part with it for a little extra cash.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Hi, there are so many exceptions to shooting a match it's ridiculous. Proof of Military service (DD 214),Law enforcement service, Concealed Carry permit, Senior Citizen and on and on. Just my 2 cents! the CMP is your privilege as an American Citizen so take advantage of it. It's not hard; just try to get the best grade you can afford. I got one that was out of time and they fixed it. I love the CMP program. DO IT!

The owner of Orion used to be an officer in the Garand Collectors Association (GCA). I bet he shoots an original. You can get a M1 Garand Special for $1250. The 30-06 is currently out but they have .308's available. They send it to your house for $1250 with free shipping. They do the background check and ship it direct to you. Here is the description...

"CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand IHC receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.
A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber." I have several of these if there's pitting it must be invisible, regards, Mike

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I bought mine from Fulton Armory. It had been restored, with the original 1943 receiver, but totally re-finished, and the other parts on the rifle were basically new. It looks fantastic, is an original WW2 Garand, serial number wise, but yes was completely refinished and looks like, and is, a new gun. So, the purists would be horrified, but the gun is basically new and ready for lots of shooting, and is a real, 1943 M1 Garand. I'm happy.
I did something similar, sent them a service grade and told them make it perfect. It's nicer than an unissued one in all ways, mechanically and cosmetically. Not "correct" or original but in my opinion nicer overall

·
Registered
174 Posts
"The M1 Garand Rifle" by Bruce N. Canfield is one of the greatest books ever written.

Every Garand collector/owner should get this book.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I bought a .308 Garand from the CMP in June. I bought the CMP special. New Criterion barrel, new wood.....and itbit a phenomenal shooter. With factory ammo it's an MAO gun. There is no pitting of the metal. Its as nice an M1as you'll ever find.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts