1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a gunshop today and saw an M1 Garand, it had a new barrel and a new walnut stock, the reciever, and other metal is 1945, the gun looked brand new so now Im thinking of buying it, the price is $875.00. Is this a good price, or is it the going price for an M1 Garand? I don't know much about Garands so any advice will be appriciated.
Paul :rock:

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
New barrel and wood then I would say that is a good price.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The CMP Special Garand is a rifle with new wood and a new barrel. It might have new parts internally. The receiver is refinished USGI. They are selling for $995.00 with a 180 day delivery time.

$875.00 on the shelf with new wood and barrel, GO FOR IT!!

RWW

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just called them, but they're going to be closed tomorrow and Monday, but I told them I'd be in on Tues to buy the Garand, he put a sold tag on her, now Im really excited!!!
Paul :biglaugh:

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Good deal, you scored a hell of a deal IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
That is an excellent deal Paul!!! I am happy for you my friend, they are a fantastic rifle and will give you many years of enjoyment!!!:rock::rock:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As soon as I get her I will post pics of her,ooooooooo Im soooo excited, I've had, and currently have way to many guns, but right now I feel like Ralphie waiting for Christmas and that Red Ryder BB gun!!!!
Paul :biglaugh: :rock:

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
Every God-and-country loving gun owner needs at least one Garand! :)

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
They are an enjoyable gun to shoot and have great historical importance. I had 3 of them. I wish I had kept one. But, they became like the other guns in my safe that don't get shot. Someone else's. Everyone I sold them to was happy to get them.:)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just a suggestion and you may have already taken these steps but, field strip the weapon and carefully inspect every part. Make sure it is not a "reweld", ask if it is a CMP weapon and if they have the CMP certificate.

A friend of mine, in his haste to purchase a Garand manufactured in 1942, found one that had the "original" barrel. However, when I field stripped the weapon, we discovered that barrel had been welded to the receiver on the under side of tne barrel where it meets the receiver. The rifle had been refinished and was evident because the weld "bead" was parkerized as well.

Essentially, the Garand my friend purchased was "to perfect". Additionally the stock was a replacement with no cartouche marks of any kind, not even the "P" for proof firing/acceptance.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
They are an enjoyable gun to shoot and have great historical importance. I had 3 of them. I wish I had kept one. But, they became like the other guns in my safe that don't get shot. Someone else's. Everyone I sold them to was happy to get them.:)
I still have yet to shoot the one my father left me. Oh well, he never shot it hardly at all either. My biggest problem is finding an outdoor range nearby where I don't have to pay membership dues and go through an initiation. Second problem is finding .30-06 ammo that sells for less than the cost of another Garand.

·
Registered
673 Posts
dont shoot store bought ammo thru a garand--buy your ammo thru cmp--also--you will buy another one--after i bought my first garand--i got hooked--now i got 5 of them beauties--

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
What is the difference between cmp's and store bought?
CMP is original USGI surplus with USGI parts, it come with a certificate with the rifle SN# and who it was sold too.

Store bought, is anyone's guess. It could be an re-imported "USGI" with unknown parts and will have import marks etched into the receiver. Springfield Armory, not the original Gov't SA but the 'new' commercial SA uses cast rather than forged receivers and non 'original' parts.

·
Banned
185 Posts
You should seek out .30-06 ammunition that has been specifically loaded for the Garand's operating system. Regular .30-06 hunting ammunition is typically too hot for the Garand and the powders used in these rounds have the incorrect burn rate for the Garand's system. The lightest, (under 150 grains), and the heaviest, (over 180 grains), bullets available for the .30-06 are not suitable for the Garand. Hunting rounds will damage the Garand. You can use military surplus ammo but beware that some of the older stuff is corrosive. The best source that I've found for good, safe ammo for the Garand is from Black Hills Ammunition. Their 168gr. match BTHP Gold ammo is great. Not cheap, but great. If you want to reload for your Garand then the Hornady reloading manual has reloading data for both the .30-06 Springfield and the Garand.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Garand are like women, you can never really have too many:rock::rock:
Amen to that:rock:

As far as ammo goes, Fulton Armory's website and their folks will give the definitive answer on the do's and don't, including reloading. I've had my garand for about 17 years now and have literally shot the barrel smooth:biglaugh::biglaugh:. I've put everything from Korean imported surplus to winchester, remington etc..., in the 150-165gr range with absolutely no ill effects. The garand action is tough as nails as well as it's gas system.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts