1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have this Colt and was looking for some comments re the finish. It looks nearly new, really nice weapon, but the nickel finish is something I haven't seen, I am sure it was applied later for some reasons.
It is stamped WB and P. 20210504_182735_resized.jpg 20210504_182742_resized.jpg 20210504_182812_resized.jpg 20210504_182842_resized.jpg

Many thanks
Marco

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It's a shame that someone ruined an almost new condition WWII 1911A1. Maybe a good candidate to restore if priced right.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What comments are you looking for ? that is not a "NAVY waterproof finish". some one took a really nice WWII pistol and at some point had it coated . turned a $3000 pistol into a $800 pistol ( at best) . It could probably be un-coated and reparkerized, but it will always be "refinished".

Not a bad looking gun, but a newer gun would have been a better choice to spruce up

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Hello

I have this Colt and was looking for some comments re the finish. It looks nearly new, really nice weapon, but the nickel finish is something I haven't seen, I am sure it was applied later for some reasons.
It is stamped WB and P. View attachment 609785 View attachment 609786 View attachment 609787 View attachment 609788

Many thanks
Marco
You can replace the blue parts with original parkerized parts. That will greatly improve the value. My dad’s 1943 issue sold for $3500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi thanks for your comments. I don't know who and when and why came up with the idea to coat it. I am still not sure what exactly it is, nickel I thought, but not sure. Don't think it is painted, else the stamps wouldn't be visible anymore I guess.
I will probably take it to a Galvanic I know well and get an opinion on how it has been coated...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Looks like hard chrome to me.
That's my thought too.

''that is not a "NAVY waterproof finish"
I actually heard some gunshow huckster tell someone the nickeled 3 1/2in barreled Colt 1917 revolver he had for sale was ''as-issued'' to WWI aircrews.

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
A baked-on 'paint' coating does not obscure markings and you can still see every grain in the metal. Whatever it is it can be removed chemically/electrically and the pistol can be restored. I think the resulting value would be between what it is now and what it would be if original. May not be worth it to you but I would do it.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Given how sharp the edges and markings are the pistol was clearly in excellent condition prior to being plated. Of course we don't know when it was done, as there was a time when these pistols were not $$$$$ collector's gems. I agree it can be restored somewhat by carefull de-plating it then having it re-Parkerized, but of course the originality is gone so it will never be worth more than half what an original finish example is.

BTW just for argument's sake, does the SN on the back of the slide (underneath the FP stop) match the frame?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,334 Posts
I read the description of a plated pistol on gunbroker, advertised as a wartime experimental stainless pistol, and the proof was that a hole had been drilled in an inconspicuous place, and sure enough, it was "stainless all the way through" (suggesting the guy thought bluing penetrated metal entirely?).

Colt did some Series 70 pistols with nickel plated slide, frame, grip safety and mainspring housing, with the small parts blued, and the OP's gun may have been intended to mimic that appearance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi
20210505_062220_resized.jpg 20210505_062253_resized.jpg 20210505_062353_resized.jpg 20210505_062452_resized.jpg 20210505_062601_resized.jpg 20210505_062644_resized.jpg 20210505_062736_resized.jpg
Yes hard chrome might be I am trying to get it checked by a Galvanic. However hard chrome is rather thick compared to normal chrome, at least 20 micrometers, not sure if the small stamps would be as sharp as they are.

The SN matches, there are some more stamps like G and P, 69 and a symbol I didn't find out yet, however this is most likely from the german bullet tests. On the barrel is .45 ACP and on the side COLT .45 AUTO.

The Bullet test was done in 95 according to the stamping.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
It looks like nickel to me. Both it and hard chrome look similar, but hard chrome is a lot more "white" while nickel is slightly yellow due to the copper wash that's applied first in order to get the nickel to adhere better. Both can be de-plated, but if you do that be sure to use a refinisher who knows what they're doing as the steel can be damaged if they don't.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Looks like there was a real 1942 made gem under this plating. Inspected by Col. Waldemar S. Broberg.

The German proof stamps are fairly common on guns like this in Europe (you are in Czechia I believe), both my Colt (under the slide luckily) and my Ithaca (on the frame sadly) have them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No I didn't do it, why would I do it? :rolleyes:

The gun is practically new, beyond my understanding why somebody would do a new coating to a new gun, just don't get it.

It has german proof stamps, same as the guns from Classic12 (thanks for showing, nice guns, I am 🇨🇭 too btw, just at the moment in CZ), so I can only guess it was probably done in Germany.

Showed it to a small Galvanic just around the corner, they think it is definitely nickel and not hard chromed.

But I think I leave it alone unless I find a real pro who could restore it, don't wanna mess with it because it is nicely done and at the end it is still an original 1911.

Thanks a lot for your comments 👍

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
If I magically had one like that, I would have the plating removed and a correct Parkerizing applied. Using figures here, half of $3000 is more than $800.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
That's true, I forgot about NP3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I magically had one like that, I would have the plating removed and a correct Parkerizing applied. Using figures here, half of $3000 is more than $800.
Yes I'd have to find a good gunsmith to do that... Ceska Zbrojovska Group (CZ75) has a factory not too far from here, have to check that out. They actually just acquired Colt Holding Company.

Re NP3, have seen some parts we produced with PTFE coating, but haven't seen chemical Nickel with PTFE (NP3) yet. Maybe CZG knows about that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts