1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long time ago, a guy I knew, came across an arch spring housing for an M1911A1 that had a cut in it for a stock. I had a Browning Hi Power stock and the arched spring housing fit perfectly on the Browning stock. I tried and tried to get that arch spring housing from him but he never wanted to sell or trade. I've moved many times since then and have totally lost track of the person. Has anyone ever seen another M1911A1 with an arched spring housing cut for a stock? Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
21,988 Posts
All the slotted mainspring housings I have seen or had an advertisement for were flat.

Note that a pistol with a shoulder stock is regulated under the NFA and is not generally legal for an American Commoner. Period Lugers, Mausers, and maybe that Browning are C&R exceptions, but not a 1911A1.

You see them made up into "carbine kits" with 16" barrels, but I have never seen anything to show their authenticity. I don't think the BATF has, either.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Shoulder Stock

Several years back a kit came out of supposedly "Lebanese" origin to convert the 1911/1911A1 to a long barrel, shoulder stocked pistol. The kit consisted of the mainspring housing for the shoulder stock, the shoulder stock, and a 16" barrel. Without the 16" barrel, putting the shoulder stock on a pistol would make it very illegal.
The only C&R pistols legal to own with a shoulder stock attached are those that were originally manufactured and issued with a shoulder stock. After 1913 all Lugers had an attachment for a shoulder stock, but since the shoulder stock was only issued with the 8" barrel "Artillery" and 6" barrel Navy, it is illegal to put a shoulder stock on a 4" barrel Luger.

·
Premium Member
15,671 Posts
Those 'carbine kits' for the 1911 are commonly available by several makers for about $300. So far I have resisted getting one. I saw a video on 'You Tube' of a full-auto M1911A1 with a shoulder stock, and the guy was able to control it rather well. It appeared to me to be an arsenal or factory job with the well-designed sliding selector in the cocking serrations area on the RH side of the slide.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have seen and fired one. Decades ago when I was a pre-teen. Somewhere around 1980.
Took a Hi-Power stock (or it might have been a Mauser stock....I don't remember). I believe the mainspring housing was flat.

side note: gun also had a 6" threaded bbl, and corresponding suppressor. Also had one of the first batch of Taylor drum mags. I only fired it on one occasion, but for a ten year old kid, it was pretty neat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts