1911Forum banner

M1A Scout--effective range?

1295 3
Someone suggested that I put a variable scope on an M1A instead of an ACOG to take advantage of the extra range.

Since I'll have the scout shorty model, 20" barrel, would this still apply, or is 4x the most I'll need?

I was thinking on putting a Trijicon Accupoint instead. It's 3x-9x. What do y'all think? 4x or variable power?

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
715 Posts
The "papa of the scout", Jeff Cooper, doesn't like variable power scopes. Says they can change aim when you change power. I've never noticed that, but ....

A fixed-power scope will be more durable, all other things being equal, as well as cheaper and possibly more weather-resistant. On the other hand, it's nice to be able to crank up 9x when you want to check the opposite mountainside for critters, and higher power allows more precise aiming at any range.

Glad I could help.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

· Registered
68 Posts
No loss of anything other than possibly a few fps out of the shorter barrel. The intrinsic accuracy of the piece is in no way degraded by the shorter barrel and as Chuck Karwan noted in his SOF piece seems to be slightly better in the scout than the full size. Also showed his personal one with a 10x scope on it. Go with what you want, 4X is more than snipers had in WWII and they got by quite nicely.
Manny

· Registered
2,846 Posts
I would go for a 4x. Maybe even get two if in case one is out of service at any time. Personal choice for me would be a Leupold or Burris. Standard Duplex reticle and MATTE finish scope body.

If funds allowed; I would go for a 1.5x-6x, 2x-7x or 2.5-8x variable compact 'scope from Burris or Leupold, standards duplex reticle, MATTE finish scope body ... and a fixed-power 4x as a spare.

Whatever the case, I would steer clear of the cheap stuff - especially if buying only one. Expensive (Leupold, Burris, Zeiss etc etc) 'scopes DO fail sometimes - but they have good warranties and service most of the time. While some people have great luck with a "$89.95" - if it fails, you may not get a "no questions asked fix or replacement".

Check out:

http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/index.html

Have fun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.