1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My long sought after M45A1 (production model) arrived yesterday…

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

So my arsenal/collection now consists:

Colt M45A1
Colt Combat Commander (45ACP)
Sig Sauer P320-M17 (9mm)

I don’t “currently” CC/EDC but I’m kinda thinkin’ a Colt Defender (in stainless) would complete a nice Colt 1911 5”, 4”, 3” sequence - would it not? At this point it’s a want vs. need however I do tend to live in the huge gray zone of want vs. need..

Or for the moment put this phone down, clean the M45A1 and head to the range..

·
Administrator
78,705 Posts
Trying to build a "complete" gun collection is basically like falling down the rabbit hole. You'll never get out. Even after you collect every major type, you'll then become obsessed with every variation of that type. And then every sub-variation. Eventually your wife will ask you why you have so many identical guns, and you'll have to explain to her how a Colt 1911A1 with a WB mark on the frame is different than one marked GHD, and so forth.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looks like US military collection. You also need:. M9, M1911 (not A1), Colt 1907, Colt 1917, six .38 Special revolvers (2" S&W Military K-frame RBused by CID there were five 4" revolvers three by Ruger and two by S&W, SIG P226, G19.... I don't know which models were 4" revolvers but they were use by USAF, and MPs. There were also S&W Victory models and Colt Commando .38. Not sure which was worst military handgun, but two worthwhile contenders are MK-23 and M45A1. I prefer M45A1 because I have medium sized hands, so to me the MK-23 was the worst. I heard rumors both were dumped in favor of G19? Ok, done 😤.😂

·
Administrator
78,705 Posts
Well, I'm at M1911, M1911A1, .38 Victory, M9, and M17. There's a whole helluva lot in between I could have, but fortunately I've managed to control myself. A little. Okay, I'm lying...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay to recap.. I now own my three must haves:

Colt Government (45ACP)
Colt Commander (45ACP)
Sig M17 (9mm)

As a very long ago former Marine the fact that my government is the M45A1 Marine is icing on the cake.

My Commander has the “100 Years of Service” rollmark - so for me that’s a plus though I’ve read various threads that take an opposite opinion..

So all things considered anything else is an add on so I’m still mulling over the Defender. I’m watching several GB items several of which conlude tonight.. My gf and I tend to take several glasses of wine w/ our weekend dinners. I do note that two of my prior auction purchases have been on such Sunday evenings. I would never handle//carry
/discharge a firearm “under the influence” - however us it okay to buy them after a few glasses?🙂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts