1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just received my new slide and there are some machine marks on the lugs. I have used several slides from this company but they did not have these machine marks. You can barely feel them as you drag a pin over them. Should I send the slide back or just run with it? Any comments are appreciated. Thank you.
URL=http://s795.photobucket.com/user/thackerville/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpg.html]
[/URL]

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
This might be a close call. The imperfections, to my eyes, look deeper than merely superficial machining marks. Given that you are a repeat customer of the slide's manufacturer, I'd lean towards contacting them. Even with the very best shops, sometimes there's an item that gets missed in their quality inspection process ... something that the manufacturer wouldn't want to go to a customer.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I will call them in the am. They are a bit deep for my liking but I have not seen enough slides to know.thank you again.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
If those marks are on the lug engagement faces then I would request replacement. If they are in the bore surface that the barrel rubs during link down momentarily, then I would smooth out with an abrasive or lap. If they are in the mating lug faces then they will prevent full contact when impact happens during the firing cycle. This could allow peening and a change in the fit as headspace grows and lug failure may be a possibility. It looks like a dull cutter was used when it should have been sharpened or replaced.
Joe

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Sir. They are on the engagement surface and they look worse in person. You read my thoughts exactly but I did not want to be that guy that sends everything back. I trust the company so I will send it back and ask their recommendations. Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Thank you Sir. They are on the engagement surface and they look worse in person. You read my thoughts exactly but I did not want to be that guy that sends everything back. I trust the company so I will send it back and ask their recommendations. Thank you for your help.
++

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts