1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about cutting some serrations along the length of the top of a slide. Does a HSS double-angle cutter do a good enough job, or are slides too hard for this?

My guess is that if you take it real easy, 38-40 Rc should machine with a sharp cutter and plenty of oil. I don't think I can afford a carbide-tipped cutter.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Blindhogg ( www.blindhogg.com ) has a section on his website about exactly how to do it.

Go there and read it, but to answer your question, he does it with a HSS cutter and said he gets a few jobs out of it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
HSS is just fine

I use HSs single angle cutter..."dovetail cutter" to do slides all the time. You need to match the type of serrations that are on the back of the gun.

If your cutter is 3/4 dia. I would set the mill to around 250-450 rpm using a multiple flute mill. Use lots of cutting oil while doing it.
Don't bother wasting the money for carbide if you are just going to do one slide.

If you do get a carbide end mill, make sure you take care of it. The little corners will chip VERY easily if mishandled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts