1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to machine the Low-mount Novak cut on my slide. I found this guide (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=71529&highlight=Novak+sight+cut) that Chuck (Pistolwrench) detailed the process. The question I have is where did this 0.883" dimension come from. From Novak site (http://novaksights.com/products/sights/installation.html#fexed), they say 0.770" back from the back end. The adj model has an additional relief in front of the dovetail, 0.150" max.

I know from following Chuck post on this forum and others that he does not do things without a reason. So I would like to know his reason for this dimension vs what Novak specs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Setting farther forward allows for a smoother transition from the rear of the sight to the rear of the sight. I've seen quite a few Novak sights that overhang the rear just a bit, and it is unsightly.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Remember, most of the guys using the .883" spec are building a pistol, so they might be blending the rear of the slide after milling that dovetail.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Snake is right, each sight should be measured individually in all dimensions for a better fit. In particular the dovetail depth. No two sights or slides are the same.

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
My instructions are specific for use of a .250" endmill at contact.
Not centerline to centerline like the Novak instructions.
.883" - .125" = .758".
The .012" difference between the Novak number and mine is due to my suggested
touch-off technique.

Hey.......it works for me!

:dope:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Chuck, thanks for the clarification! I really wish I had an endmill of my own or knew someone nearby. I'd love to start getting into CNC or manual machining. Alas, the University of Idaho only has summer classes for the manufacturing/machining stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts