1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here has had this finish applied to any of thair guns handguns specificly?,if so how do you like it and how does it hold up? They were reccomended to me by someone over at fnhipower.com for having my hi power refinished but have never really heard of the company. Thair turn around time is only 2 weeks or less which really appeals to me.

So I'am looking for input from people who have dealt with them thanks for any help.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've had a Commander (alloy frame) done and a friend has had two shotguns done. I carried the commander for a couple months but didn't shoot it much. It looks good (two tone) and functions OK. Not a good test but it is fine so far. My friend's shotguns are fully functional and look excellent. Again, he hasn't used them enough to give you any inidication of long term duribility.

·
Registered
399 Posts
A buddy of mine has a Makarov that Mac refinished in two tone OD/Black and it's held up very well. He carried it daily over the summer in a leather holster and the heat/sweat didn't seem to affect it at all. He said he the total turnaround time was around 10days.

That being said, GunKote isn't very difficult to apply yourself. But if you're only doing one pistol, it's probably just as cost effective to send it to Mac.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have to give a real plug for Mac's. He's done my AR-15, my Kahr P9, and my Springer XD. (He's going to get my 1911 when I finish it, too.) His work is, without exception, excellent. His turn-around time is less than 2 weeks, and he will not let a less-than-excellent job out the door. Prices are more than reasonable. IIRC, it's $115 for a SA auto, and he completely strips it and GK's every part (except springs), micro-polishes the bore, and does 1 (2?) mag.

As far as the finish itself, it's GK over park (they call it Tuff-Gun), and they guarantee it to never rust. It has held up extremely well on my guns (I shoot the hell out of the AR and XD, less so on the P9), with only a very slight "burnishing" in the high contact areas. No chips/peels/flakes/anything.

Sorry if I sound like a cheerleader, but the guy does great work, and his customer service is second-to-none. Sometimes we're quick to criticize and slow to credit. He also supports the various shooting forums (He's offered specials to the guys on various forums, such as XDTalk).

I have no affiliation with him, except as a satisfied customer. Good product. Good service. Good guy.

Scott

·
Registered
541 Posts
He did a couple of pistols for me and would go to him again......all looked and worked very good and reasonable prices........

·
Registered
558 Posts
another thumbs up

He did an Auto Ordinance for a friend of mine in the two tone, Olive Drab/Black combo..................very nice.

Dave

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mac's

He does good work, very nicely priced and his turn around is better than the average "black" refinisher. I was looking at other "black" finishes too and settled on Mac's because a friend recommended it. I can't report any long term findings yet. But I just had a 1911 done up with his finish and is holding up pretty well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mac has done several rifles for me. Each time, he's given some type of discount (two-tone at no extra cost, extra miscellaneous parts/mags done for free, etc.). When my rifles arrive, he always sends an e-mail detailing what was in the box, and double-checking what I want done. His service is quick and consistent. The finish itself is a sometimes a bit rough (i.e. not smooth) but wears extremely well.

Mac will remain my Number One choice for refinishing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts