1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Springfield .45 used A1 parkerized used today. The gun came in the orig. box which is cardboard. The gun is about %98 and I paid $495 for it. The last Springfield I bought new about 4 years ago came in a plastic box and was marked Brazil on the frame forward of the trigger. This new purchase gun has no Brazil mfg. mark I can find. The literature that came with the gun talks of Omega models out of production for about 10 years I think. Do I have a made in USA gun?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
popeye, I know this continues to go around, but the way I understand it all SA slides and frames have always been manufactured (not necessarily finished) in Brazil. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I decided to revive this old topic instead of posting a new one.

I have heard that SA slides and frames are made in Brazil. But are the guns assembled here in the States? Or are the guns also assembled 100% in Brazil?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I thought the mil spec and loaded were assembled in Brazil. All custom shop pistols, such as the TRP, trophy match and the Professional Model have varying degrees of fitting here in the U.S.

Perhaps someone should contact SA

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I thought the mil spec and loaded were assembled in Brazil.
Yeah, the Mil-Spec is the one I'm concerned about. I'll try calling them tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is the real info direct from Springfield! See below a response to an email I sent them the other day.

Springfield frames and slides are still forged in Brazil. On some firearms,
which have more machining done here in the states, the "FI Brazil" is not
stamped on the pistol.

Deb, Customer Service
Springfield Inc.
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 4:46 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 1911

I know Springfield frames and parts were mfg in Brazil at one time. I
noticed looking at a prospective purchase that F1-Brazil no longer appears
on the frame. Does this mean that your pistols are now mfg completely from
US made parts? This was a full size loaded 1911-A1 with a blue finish.
Serial number N41XXXX.

Thanks for the information.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Isn't it just a little ironic that some people want to make such a big deal out of the fact that SA has the rough forged frames produced in Brazil and mostly all hand finished here in the States. However, the Valtro which is totally produced and finished in Italy is supposed to be ok?

I don't get it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Originally posted by LW McVay:
Isn't it just a little ironic that some people want to make such a big deal out of the fact that SA has the rough forged frames produced in Brazil and mostly all hand finished here in the States. However, the Valtro which is totally produced and finished in Italy is supposed to be ok?

I don't get it.
Well, in my case, I really want a 1911 that is American made, simply because the 1911 is such an American handgun. But at the same time, I want to make sure that the one I purchase is a well-made product within my price range, which the Mil-Spec seems to be. So it really doesn't have to do with Brazil in particular. I'd be asking the same question if it was made in Italy, Japan, etc. And I'd feel better knowing that the gun was partly manufactured here in the States but again, that's just me. Mostly I just want to get the facts straight.

Here's the response I got from Springfield on this issue:

Springfield slides and frames are forged in Brazil. Some of our standard factory 1911-A1 models are assembled in Brazil as well. At the present time, we have some Mil Spec models assembled in the Geneseo factory, and some in Brazil. In the future all Mil Spec models will be assembled in Brazil.

Deb, Customer Service
Springfield Inc.
So hopefully that settles it.

[This message has been edited by GI-45 (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
GI-45..

I wasn't specifically referring to you. It was more of a general comment directed at hand wringers afraid of a Brazilian component, but would turn right around and buy an Italian/German/Belgian/Austrian gun without a second thought of it not being "American".

I do admire a man that does his homework and takes the time to do some research on the subject. I WAS suprised to learn that SA would eventually go to a pure Brazilian Mil-Spec. Good piece of knowledge for those discriminating buyers! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I wasn't specifically referring to you.
It's cool. I just wanted to make my position clear, that I don't have anything against Brazil.

It was more of a general comment directed at hand wringers afraid of a Brazilian component, but would turn right around and buy an Italian/German/Belgian/Austrian gun without a second thought of it not being "American".
I think it has to do with the fact that Brazil is considered to be a Third World nation by some.

I do admire a man that does his homework and takes the time to do some research on the subject.
Thanks.
But to be honest, I think I'm splitting hairs here; I need to just pick a 1911 and buy it!

I WAS suprised to learn that SA would eventually go to a pure Brazilian Mil-Spec.
Me too. I wonder if they're planning to have any other models go that same route.

Good piece of knowledge for those discriminating buyers! Thanks!
You're very welcome.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I dont mind at all that they are rough forged in Brazil. What i DO MIND is the goofy stamp on the side of or under the dust cover. Why cant they put it under the grip etc...

Im guessing here, but my bet would be that IMBEL forges the frames. IMBEL is known for extremely tough FAL recievers, they know what they are doing.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Matt, I'll bet you are right about where they are made.

I also agree with you regarding the stamping/marking. In fact I'll go one step further...I wish SA would clean up a lot of their logos. I think the old ordanance seal is perfect. Why muck it up further with more clutter?

But I won't just stop with SA on this one. Almost all manufactures are guilty of using the slide as a gross billboard. YUK! Keep is simple, keep it classy.

Just a small voice in the wilderness....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Almost all manufactures are guilty of using the slide as a gross billboard. YUK! Keep is simple, keep it classy.
Couldn't agree more. The #1 reason why I can't bring myself to purchase a Colt 1991A1 is that huge "COLT 1991A1" rollmark on the slide. Ugh. (There's a thread about this in the Colt forum.)

From what I have seen, I like the rollmarks on the Springfield Mil-Spec (minus "BRAZIL," if possible.
). It features, in nice, reasonable letters, "Model 1911-A1 Cal .45". Because that's what I want: a 1911, not a "1991" (even though they're basically the same).

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm with you guys on that...I'd like to see a very small Odinance Seal and nothing else on the whole thing...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Springfield is "made" in Genesco IL USA, says so right on the frame. That's the home of the Mfg.

Lots of mfgs these days contract overseas to make parts, assemble materials. Nike is a Beaverton, OR, USA firm. All their shoes are made overseas. But they're a USA product.

It's part of the global economy.

The Springfield is a USA gun. Steel probably came from Pittsburgh. Fitted in Illinois. I don't care if their forges are on the moon. It's a USA gun.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

1 - 20 of 31 Posts