1911Forum banner

Made room for more firearms.

8K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  dsk 
#1 ·
So after filling up the safe with guns and some ammo...I decided to remove all the ammo from the safe. Now I can add about 20 more sidearms and another dozen rifles. Oh the work never ends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#8 ·
#10 ·
I have separate safes for my guns and magazines, and a separate storage area for ammo in the garage. I figure in the event of a house fire I'd rather all the ammo cook off in the same place that the cars and household chemicals are burning so the firefighters can concentrate on saving the rest of the house. Storing ammo in the same place as the firearms isn't the best move for a variety of reasons.

#13 · (Edited)
I never stored any ammo in my safe, but after having my safe for a few months it's amazing after three different attempts I was able to make even more space available for some more guns.

I think one of the best things I like about having a Browning Safe like yours even though mine is a different series is the ease of configuring the interior. Not only being able to move shelves so easily which I imagine is to some degree possible with other safes but the number of different types of shelves that they have available as well. The pistol shelves with twelve slots each really make it extremely convenient for me.

I personally have about three times number of pistols than I have long guns so that helps and I still have room for more pistols but after changing a few things around I was able to make even more room available for some more long guns.

#17 ·
I try to keep all of my gun stuff in places where I can conceal it from prying eyes in the event the natural gas guy comes inside or somebody happens to wander into my garage looking for me. Ammo is stored away in ammo cans and inside a padlocked cabinet, but I don't worry too much about theft-proofing it. I'd rather the thieves try and make off with a bunch of heavy ammo than use up their precious smash n' grab time going after my guns instead.

#18 ·
Ammo storage has been and continues to be challenging. Sturdy shelves are great, but limit accessibility by not being able to quickly identify and access ammo that’s stacked in the back. Plus, it’s hard to secure ammo on a shelf.

I tried a storage cabinet with shelves and locking doors, but it was a pain trying to identify the ammo stacked deep within the back of the shelves, not to mention having to nearly lay down to access the bottom shelves.

A dedicated safe/RSC would be nice, but again, there would be accessibility limitations due to the shelving, not to mention the expense of the containers. But, then again, a decent ammo of ammo is very expensive, costing more than many of my firearms, so a nice RSC could be a wise storage option. Ammo is very heavy, thus limiting adequate storage solutions even further. Either way, finding space for the secured ammo can be a challenge in and of itself.

For now, I’ve settled on a media storage cabinet with drawers, coupled with a tool base-cabinet with drawers in the corner of my home office. The drawers make it super easy to identify and access all stored ammo. But, drawer height is limited and of course, it’s all too easy to exceed the drawer’s weight capacity.

My media cabinet and tool box drawers are only rated for 100#, although several drawers currently exceed that limit. Both have decent locks for a cabinet and the bearings/tracks are robust enough to pull the drawers with just a finger, without over-stressing the drawer. I use the big cabinet for range ammo and the smaller box for SD/HD ammo, makes it easy to find exactly what I need.

1340 rounds of 223/556 takes up a little space when laid out on a desktop.

But, hardly makes a dent when stacked in a drawer.

Be curious to know how other folks store all their ammo, perhaps a separate thread would be prudent.

#21 ·
Be curious to know how other folks store all their ammo, perhaps a separate thread would be prudent.
Had to make the best of very limited space. Ammo lives under my reloading bench

Attachments

#19 ·
Strong-hold.com works for me.

They are the go-to solution for my ammo storage needs.

#22 ·
They are the go-to solution for my ammo storage needs.
This tool cart would make for a great base cabinet. The drawers are rated at 400# weight capacity. Wow, that’s insane.
https://strong-hold.com/product/american-flag-tool-cart-with-12-gauge-steel-top/

A couple of the Ultimate Workbenches would do the trick too, the drawers are also rated @ 400#. Making room for them would be a challenge, but at $9k apiece, freeing up some space would be the least of my concerns.
https://strong-hold.com/product/ultimate-workbench-with-maple-top/

Indeed, Strong-Hold has some serious products, but I’d need to sell all my firearms in order to procure them to fulfill my ammo storage needs, in which case, I’d no longer have a need for ammo. :)

On a side note: Your ammo reserves look healthy.
Had to make the best of very limited space. Ammo lives under my reloading bench
Your ammo storage is well organized, you’ve made perfect use of the available space.

#20 ·
Something did not work right when I tried to post pics.

We will try this again.

Attachments

#31 ·
Yeah, not so much.

Storing ammo in a safe is not a good idea.
In case of a fire, you pretty much created a bomb!
Ammunition is actually pretty tame in a fire, campfire games included. Standard turnout gear is completely up to the task. A safe will even contain things further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtRhht7ovmo

The bullet points from the video (no pun intended):

Hard to ignite
No chain reaction
No mass explosion
Standard firefighting techniques

#32 ·
Dang, some of you have some awesome ammo supplies!

#33 ·
A couple years ago a nearby neighbor's house caught fire, and he had a ton of ammo stored in the basement. I was actually standing across the street watching as the ammo cooked off. All I observed was a constant sound like popping popcorn among the existing flames. No secondary explosion or big orange fireball like Hollywood loves to portray. The firefighters simply continued to pour water on the fire and keep their distance as would be prudent in any large fire where there were no occupants to risk going in and saving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.