1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i erased my above post, due to the fact that i fixed the prob i had getting the mag catch off due to a stripped flathead screw. i would like to replace the mag catch on my commander, and would like to know if they are all drop in. seems likely to me, but had to ask. also, where should i go to get it? thanks.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Magazine catches are dorp in. Do you need to replace the entire catch or just the buggered up lock (the part with the screw driver slot)? That part is drop in too.

Brownells http://www.brownells.com , Midway http://www.midwayusa.com , Kings http://www.kingsgunworks.com are a few places where you can get either the entire magazine release or just the lock.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Ed Brown sells a catch lock with a hex head for Allen wrench. Brownells has 'em. No more buggered screw heads!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Bolante, this may be stupid advice, but you do know that the screw in the mag catch does not screw out the way a normal screw would, right? It only moves 1/4 of a turn. If you try to unscrew it, you'll wreck the screw and the mag catch.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
400 Posts
What Shane45 said but you will also have to depress the mag catch till you can feel the screw turn easily, get you a set of gunsmiths screwdrivers.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by LenB:
Ed Brown sells a catch lock with a hex head for Allen wrench. Brownells has 'em. No more buggered screw heads!
Yup, the hex can be nice, and does look sharp, though it requires tools to remove it in the field, where keeping the original does not.

In fact, with the slotted mag catch, and grip screw, you can take the gun down for detail stripping, or repair without any tools. The Leaf Spring is used to turn the slotted heads.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Jaydee -

How do you gain access to your Leaf Spring without taking off your main spring housing, which requires a punch and hammer like object? It would seem to me to be easier to carry a small screw driver around rather than a punch and then have to look for a rock or other heavy object to drive out the MH retaining pin.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by MadDog:
Jaydee -

How do you gain access to your Leaf Spring without taking off your main spring housing, which requires a punch and hammer like object? It would seem to me to be easier to carry a small screw driver around rather than a punch and then have to look for a rock or other heavy object to drive out the MH retaining pin.
Thumb Safety can be used to drive the MSH pin out. You should not need to used a "Hammer" like object to remove the pin. You are overcoming the Detent on the MSH pin, and as long as the hammer is down, no (or little) pressure is exerted on the Detent Ball, via the Strut spring. With slight "inward" pressure on the base of the MSH, you should be able to drive the MSH pin out past the detent.

John M. Browning designed the 1911 to be completely stripped without any tools...

Too often, things get buggered up when people "force" things due to improper use of tools... I will admit, a Pin punch, and a small Hammer (I will use the wood handle of a Brass Brush) to knock it free can be easier, but in the field, you don't always have everything you might need, FWIW.

[This message has been edited by jaydee (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do these replacement catches have lighter springs than stock? The mag catch spring on my Daly is VERY stiff. It would be well worth the $10 price for a lighter spring.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by AKM:
Do these replacement catches have lighter springs than stock? The mag catch spring on my Daly is VERY stiff. It would be well worth the $10 price for a lighter spring.
Wolff offers them, check them out... http://www.gunsprings.com

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone. just wanted to check before i go and screw something else up.

i managed to find the proper screwdriver for the job, so i got it out. i'm thinking i might buy a slightly extended mag release (not the comp one's) like the one on my kimber. is it me, or is the commander's a tad bit shorter? thanks for all of your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts