1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to buy a mag loader for a Ruger 10/22. There are a few types. I'd appreciate any opinions from those who use them. Also, are after-market mags as reliable as Ruger's? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts

·
Administrator
71,889 Posts
I must be the unlucky one, because I have four Ruger BX-25 mags and every one of them jams. I get the common feeding issue where the round doesn't want to pop up all the way, so the nose digs into the front of the feed lip. There is a "fix" posted online where you can make a bushing out of a cut-down .22 case that supposedly helps support the follower, but I tried it on all my mags and they still won't work. So from now on only original 10-round rotary mags for me. No sense trying to play Rambo if the rifle keeps stopping every 5 or 6 rounds.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ruger Mags

Now that’s a bummer, for sure. Factory mags are expensive, and shouldn’t be next to worthless. Have you told Ruger about them? If so, what was the result?

·
Administrator
71,889 Posts
I still have one of the old Ram-Line mag loaders, which has a rectangular hopper and feeds the ammo with the long stroke of a push button. Well, that's how it's supposed to work at least. More often than not it simply crushes the round during loading. Between this POS and the flimsy, unreliable mags they used to make no wonder everybody called them "Jam-Line". :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I must be the unlucky one, because I have four Ruger BX-25 mags and every one of them jams. I get the common feeding issue where the round doesn't want to pop up all the way, so the nose digs into the front of the feed lip. There is a "fix" posted online where you can make a bushing out of a cut-down .22 case that supposedly helps support the follower, but I tried it on all my mags and they still won't work. So from now on only original 10-round rotary mags for me. No sense trying to play Rambo if the rifle keeps stopping every 5 or 6 rounds.
I bought a nw BX25 and a used one at a gun show. The used one was not all that reliable, and even the new one occasionally had a hiccup. I took 'em apart (pretty easy--just take out the bottom screw) and cleaned them. Now no problems. BX15s are disassembled the same way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had jamming issues with the BX-25 mags but put a couple less rounds in them and they seem to function fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts